Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #1

Default Ohio to Florida Dec 2011 - We Think?

We're thinking of going down to the Keys in Fl for our first camper trip with our nine year-old b/g twins right after Christmas. Any advice?

Does enyone know if it'll be really busy that time of year? Will we have trouble finding spaces at campgrounds that are located by beaches? Should we make reservations in advance?

We're also "nature'lovers" and were thinking of snorkeling with the dolphins, but we're supposing that the dolphins do not swim free, but are confined. Is this the case?

I have a friend in Orlando we'll visit, but do not plan on going to Disney. But there's some sort of Disney with animals --anybody know about this?

Ohio down to Florida, we heard there's some underground cave-waterfall in Tennessee. Is this a cool thing for kids?

And finally, is it still true that you can camp in any Walmart? If we do go to a rest stop, will we be kicked out? Could we get a fine if we slept in a rest stop?
I've slept in rest stops in my van many times, but never with a camper....

Again, any advice appreciated. Anybody else travelling with kids? that could meet up with us?

Mary Kay

Mary Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #2

I am also thinking about going to Florida sometime this winter, from Michigan. I probably won't be going to the same places you are going. My wife and I are retired and just want to go somewhere warm. That could be Florida or south Texas for us. But, I have heard that people have reservations way in advance for these places in the winter. I have the same concerns that you have. I am looking forward to see if somebody posts to your thread.

Johnnie

Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #3

Faye and I went to the Keys for 7 years straight, spending 2 months most years. Did not go last winter. We never took the HiLo. If you have read our posts you can see we travel a lot with the HiLo, over 20000 miles in two years, We rarely ever get a reservation however I would not take it to the Keys without a reservation. There are numbers of RV parks in the Keys and a couple of state parks with RV parking. One of the state parks is right on the water and some beach. There are not a lot of beaches in the Keys as the Keys are built on solid coral. There is a nice beach at Key West. Most of the hotels that have beaches, the sand was trucked in. We never considered it crowded. Not many kids come down for spring break. Yes I do think the dolphins are confined that you can swim with. You will find plenty of nature in the Keys and around Florida City just before you go onto the Keys. Yes you can overnight in most Walmarts. Get a road atlas at Walmart an it will list all Walmarts in North America and if you can park there. Many truckstops also allow parking if you fill up there. Many rest stops do not allow overnight parking. State road maps may show this. We see more rest areas that have dump stations. Hope this answers some of your questions. I will get out my maps and get back with you on locations of some of the above places and other info that might help
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #4

Stopping overnight in rest areas varies by State. Google for the spreadsheet showing all State laws on subject. As for camping in FL...snowbirders have had reservations since 02/11 for 01/12. You will have difficulty finding beach front campsites but it is not impossible. You will have to search through many State Parks..private parks may not be as hard but are more expensive. By all means have reservations before beginning your trip. Good luck.
lpmincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #5

Default camping stops...

I would not stop at a truck stop to sleep; they are the loudest places to get any sleep. All night long, most of the truck stops are calling out "shower" openings for the truckers over a P.A. system. Plus, the eighteen wheeler noise as they come and go, you will not get any rest. I have had good luck staying at Wal-Marts; you can usually find campers, rv's and 18 wheelers parked in their lots at night. This is a much quieter place. Get on the internet and map out the WalMarts along your routes; also there are a lot of Cracker Barrel restaurants for food and quick stops.
...and get a reservation in Key West or an island along the long drive to Key West. Try Islamorada, between Miami and Key West.
Disney World has a fantastic campground, one of the best campgrounds that I have ever stayed in..a great place to take your kids, but expensive. Call them for reservations.
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #6

Be advised that not all Walmarts permit overnight camping. The last one I saw, in Mount Dora, FL, actually has no camping signs posted.
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #7

The "Disney with animals" is probably Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. Another option would be Sea World Orlando.

The underground cave/waterfall in Tennessee is probably Ruby Falls in Chattanooga TN. Sounded pretty cool, but closed for the day as we arrived, so we didn't get to enjoy it. Ruby Falls

If you go to Chattanooga, you may want to visit the aquarium. There were 2 huge buildings that housed the aquarium - one was for fresh water fish and the other sea water. I grew up near Monterey CA, and I will tell you that the Chattanooga aquarium was the largest and most impressive one I have ever seen. Spent all day and didn't even make it to the second building. There is a ton of stuff that the kids would really enjoy around Chattanooga. Tennessee Aquarium | Chattanooga Attractions | IMAX Movies | TN Riverboat Tours

I suspect that you and the kids would love the Florida everglades. Shark Valley Everglades National Park is a must visit. You can visit the park on a tram (2 hours) or bicycle (4 hours). Welcome to Shark Valley Tram Tours
. One of the other Hi-Lo owners posted pictures of his Florida trip on this forum. Some of the pictures he posted were taken at Shark Valley.

While we were staying near the Everglades, we also went to Billy's Swamp Safari. That was also a neat place to visit.

By any chance is your husband a member of your local Elks Club? If yes, you can camp at just about any Elks Club location.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #8

Default Disney Animal Kingdom Park

This is the part of Disney World with animals:Disney's Animal Kingdom Park | Walt Disney World Resort

If you are going there you will want to camp at Fort Wilderness. And if you go to Disney you want to do your homework with some research and pre-planning. It is expensive and you want to get the best bang for the buck and also manage your time while there.

Planning a Trip to Walt Disney World
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
The "Disney with animals" is probably Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. Another option would be Sea World Orlando.

The underground cave/waterfall in Tennessee is probably Ruby Falls in Chattanooga TN. Sounded pretty cool, but closed for the day as we arrived, so we didn't get to enjoy it. Ruby Falls

If you go to Chattanooga, you may want to visit the aquarium. There were 2 huge buildings that housed the aquarium - one was for fresh water fish and the other sea water. I grew up near Monterey CA, and I will tell you that the Chattanooga aquarium was the largest and most impressive one I have ever seen. Spent all day and didn't even make it to the second building. There is a ton of stuff that the kids would really enjoy around Chattanooga. Tennessee Aquarium | Chattanooga Attractions | IMAX Movies | TN Riverboat Tours

I suspect that you and the kids would love the Florida everglades. Shark Valley Everglades National Park is a must visit. You can visit the park on a tram (2 hours) or bicycle (4 hours). Welcome to Shark Valley Tram Tours
. One of the other Hi-Lo owners posted pictures of his Florida trip on this forum. Some of the pictures he posted were taken at Shark Valley.

While we were staying near the Everglades, we also went to Billy's Swamp Safari. That was also a neat place to visit.

By any chance is your husband a member of your local Elks Club? If yes, you can camp at just about any Elks Club location.
I agree, Chattanooga is a good place to stop. There are three KOA Kampgrounds nearby. Shark Valley is a cool place as well, just remember that the alligators roam free and you need to keep your distance from them while on the trail.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #10

I just cannot believe all you people on this forum!!!!

My gosh, not only do you respond to my questions with indepth answers, but then you send me links?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am astounded!

I am a very busy homeschooling mom, who barely has time to get on the computer at all, let alone look up all the links at this minute, but I can assure you that I will check out all the links you have sent to me. Chattanooga sounds great, as does that Shark Valley...and others.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! I'll be back to check out your links later.

Mwah!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #11

Default I second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Kay View Post
I just cannot believe all you people on this forum!!!!

My gosh, not only do you respond to my questions with indepth answers, but then you send me links?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am astounded!

Mary Kay
I'm with you, Mary Kay. The people on this forum are terrific. Soooooo helpful and knowledgeable. They're the best!

Have a great trip!

Cheryl
inthepink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #12

Default Trip to keys

jUST A LITTLE HINT,
Two years ago it was nearly impossible to find a spot in the keys to camp until I ran onto a fellow moose member who informed me that moose members are given permission to camp overnight in their parking lots. The lodge at key marathon even has a few spots with full hookups. Several wal-marts have signs prohibiting camping in fla due to a huge influx of "squatters" who want to set up housekeeping for the winter, particularly near the beaches. I have found home depot lots and some lowes lots to allow overnights in fla. Spent 3 days in Melbourne Wal-Mart last winter. jim

wvbassin is offline   Reply With Quote