Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #1

Default Our first long trip

We're headed off tomorrow for our first long trip, just over 4K miles, from southern NM to centeral PA. I have all the stops planned, and reservations made for to trip out, but waiting to plan our return leg. I really don't want to come back the way we went out.

PapaRoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:41 AM   #2

Sounds like good advice for all of life!!!

Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #3

Default North or South for the Return Trip? Hmmm??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRoe View Post
We're headed off tomorrow for our first long trip, just over 4K miles, from southern NM to centeral PA. I have all the stops planned, and reservations made for to trip out, but waiting to plan our return leg. I really don't want to come back the way we went out.
Somewhat knowing what your Destination trip is, this time of year with the Heat, even though I've been through most of it, I would take a more Northern trip back home.

Although, a more Northern than Southern Mid State route, would also work. Just Depends on what you'd like to See/Hear near your stops.

Have an Enjoyable Journey!
Navy Vietnam Vet
Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #4

Our trip exploded. We turned around and came home. Trailer is going up for sale. Let's just say the wife is not a happy camper, and we had issues with a sick dog. He loves to travel, but became sick the day before departure. Day 3 of vomiting.

So if anyone here knows someone who is looking for a great HiLo, send them my wat.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Jack, I'm really sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope the pup gets better soon. Pets are really family members and I know how their problems can effect you.

I'm also sorry you've given up on the Hi-Lo. Those of us who've gotten through the newb troubles with them find them to be wonderful toys and enjoy the freedom they provide. You might change your mind if you just take a few deep breaths and give some thought to your decision.

We had to cancel a trip with our Grandchildren when our trailer was new about 80 miles away from home due to tire failures that was diagnosed as an axle failure which led to a whole lot of rebuilding and redesign to correct axle placement and bad brake installations. Now that we've gotten through that part, we've had many miles of trouble-free camping.

- Jack
Old 08-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #6

Thanks Jack. I'm good with keeping, but the wife stresses a lot. I bought it with hopes that she would feel better about traveling, as it belongs to us. It just didn't work out. I'm having a NEW refrigerator installed as I don't want the next owner to have any problems with it. It's not a money thing, so much as I want the next owner to have a wonderful experience.
I can say that it is the nicest towing trailer that I have ever pulled, even the wife agreed that it tows beautifully, as she spelled me from driving for a few hours.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #7

Well, my wife agreed to try the trip again. We are having a new fridge installed, and plan on heading out in late September. Maybe we might see some early fall colors as we pass through the Smokey Mountains. I'm hoping that my wife will be able to relax and enjoy the scenery.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #8

Good luck PapaRoe,
My wife is not a fan of RVs and RVing and even less so after the problems I've been going through the past six weeks! Maybe your wife will catch the bug. Especially if everything goes well (does that ever happen) and you enjoy the fall colors!

Because I didn't expect my wife to change her mind, I bought the 1999 Hi-Lo TowLite to see if it would enhance two of my other interests- wildlife photography and weak signal VHF ham radio. I have two butterfly field guides online and hoped to visit some areas where I can get some photographs of the few regional species I'm missing, plus do some general nature photography.

For weak signal VHF ham radio, camping out on a high peak in the Appalachians, if I could get away with it, would make for an interesting VHF contest.

I'm also adventuresome and would like to travel the Labrador Highway and things like that! And just possibly, my wife might join me if I could report some wonderful trips like the autumn foliage one I hope you have.

So far, my hobby time has been taken mostly with troubleshooting and fixing RV problems, nothing major, but many time consuming little ones which is frustrating for someone who isn't very good at it and doesn't want to substitute the RV hobby for the hobbies I already have.

Look forward to hearing about your September trip.

1999 21' Hi Lo TowLite
Doug Allen is offline   Reply With Quote