Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

Default Red Top Mountain State Park

This is not a real camping trip, but something I thought worth mentioning. I was in Cartersville, GA today. I had heard about Ret Top Mountain State Park that is near. Took a scouting run over. The people in the info center were very nice, and gave me the combo to the gate to check it out. There was a sign taped on the office door----"campground full". What a beautiful campground. Mostly tent sites, but some with RV hookups (sewer is at the dump station)

We will be camping there before too long, but probably during the week.

Red Top Mountain State Park | Georgia State Parks

Tennessee/Greenest state in the land of the free
moonstruckblog.wordpress.com
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
gus

Moonstruck
That is a beautiful campground, its only 30 min from us, but we never camped there simply because it is too close, we used to go there for Picnic and enjoy the day there, worth traveling there.

gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #3

Gus and Moonstruck-

I'm heading down there in two weeks and would like to stay at Red Top for a few days while we visit our daughter and grand-daughter in Marietta. Any insight on how big the "20 ft" back-in sights are? Can I fit my my 22ft hi-lo and pick up truck in one?

Thanks

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
Gus and Moonstruck-

I'm heading down there in two weeks and would like to stay at Red Top for a few days while we visit our daughter and grand-daughter in Marietta. Any insight on how big the "20 ft" back-in sights are? Can I fit my my 22ft hi-lo and pick up truck in one?

Thanks

Rick
Rick, there is usually a place to park the tow vehicle. I strongly advise to get a reservation this time of year. That park gets much use. It is a beautiful area.
Tennessee/Greenest state in the land of the free
moonstruckblog.wordpress.com
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Great area! Love the entire lake system and having a interagency senior pass for life makes the fee VERY manageable. We're doing Clark Creek North CG one week, packing up on a Tues morn and move over to McKaskey Creek that same day. Spend Labor Day weekend there (they close for season on the 8th) then head back to boring warm sunny Fla for a while.
Treeclinber
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #6

Sound like a great location when hookups are needed. Last week we spent three nights near Sam's neighborhood at 4 Mile Creek State Park Campground near Fort Niagara. Beautiful campground with spacious sites. Certainly not dry camping, but still was a nice experience.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

Thanks for replies. So they honor the geezer ( fed senior pass)? I also called the visitor center the other day and the woman said my trailer would fit ok in the twenty foot back in. Im not really planning on arriving until after labor aday so she thought I wouldn't have any issues finding a spot-but maybe a reservation is a good idea anyway. Thanks everyone. What are night time temps likely to be?

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #8

Hill, you will enjoy a Georgia state campground. DH and I live in SC, and Georgia state campgrounds runs circles around our state campgrounds. We have primarily camped in a Georgia campground in northeast Georgia, specifically Helen, GA (for the life of me, I can't remember the name right now) and near Savannah, GA in Skidaway Island State Park. both were superb parks. However, at that time, the rules were a little different than SC. When you make your reservation in Georgia, you cannot make a reservation for a specific site. Therefore, we made sure we got there in the a.m. so that we could pick a site from more choices. In other words, first come, first serve for best available camping sites. I don't necessarily agree with that method (especially when some campers travel quite a long way off to get to the campground), but Georgia's campgrounds are so good that I can live with it.

Concerning your "fed geezer pass," Georgia state campgrounds don't take those. However, they do give a senior citizens discount. When you arrive and register, and they ask you if you are over 65, say yes but don't give any further information than that unless you are asked. It would help if you easily peppered your conversation with a "y'all" or two. (Ha! Ha!). We always get the discount even though we are from SC. I accuse dear husband of flirting with the women to get the discount, then tell him "whatever it takes!"

Have a fun time.

Dee
Summerville, SC
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Dee, There is an Interagency Senior Pass for all National, Federal and Army Corps of Eng. Can be purchased at most of those locations. I had to travel to Ding Darling National Wild-life Refuge to get mine. Cost $10.00. Used to be called "America the Beautiful" Pass. Must be a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident , 62 yrs. or older. It is a life time card. Saves the user about 50%. I've used mine in 4 or 5 states. Shame State Parks won't recognize it. Although several have!
Treeclimber
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
sam

Gary,We were out camping that is how I must have missed your post. Glad you enjoyed Four Mile Creek State park. Most sites are water and electric. I have camped here several times as it is twenty minutes from my house. So much to do in the area that you could be in the WNY area for three months and not quite see everything.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Gary,We were out camping that is how I must have missed your post. Glad you enjoyed Four Mile Creek State park. Most sites are water and electric. I have camped here several times as it is twenty minutes from my house. So much to do in the area that you could be in the WNY area for three months and not quite see everything.
Glad your health as been good enough so you could get some camping in. Our stay in your area was short so we didn't see numerous things, but we did enjoy what time we had there.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #12

Treeclimber, in 2003 while camping in Fort Gordon's military campground on Lake Strom Thurmond near Augusta, GA, dear husband and I took a short drive over to the Clark-Hill Reservoir Dam on the upper Savannah River. There is a large Corps of Engineers' office there, and he paid the COE $20.00 and applied for and received a Golden Age Passport at age 60. At that time, the passport for life was only good for reduced fees in COE campgrounds. Since that time, the benefits have expanded tremendously. Nine years later in 2012 we used it at the gates of the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone and got in free; there were five of us in a sport utility vehicle, and everyone got into those parks free. We also used that card last week to get in free at the Grand Canyon gate; the card got all six people in our van in the gate free. One of the rangers at the gate mentioned that we could exchange the Golden Age Passport card for the card, I think, that you have and that you described. We are going to look into that; at least I should apply for the new card since I am in my 60s now. Thanks for the heads up on the new card.

Dee
Summerville, SC

Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote