Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Interior Bedding, seating, storage and more

Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #1

Default Comfy bed ideas?

I think that the one thing that all travel trailers and campers have in common is that who ever designed the beds never actually had to sleep in one

I'd love to hear what some of you are doing to make your's more comfortable.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #2

We have an 18 footer, Grandpa and I sleep on the pulled out couch. Originally it had to fabric straps attached to the wood to keep it from pulling out too far (so that the bathroom door could open easily, ours has the bathroom tucked into a corner) We cut the fabric straps off, and are able to pull the bed platforms out another 5-7". You'd be surprised how "much" that adds to the bed size! I usually just stuff those long water noodles down in there since the cushions aren't wide enough and would leave a gap. Then we have an inflatable double bed sized mattress (that is self inflatable, it has an internal pump) and Viola! Comfortable bed!

Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #3

Thats a great idea on the bed! It's sounds really comfy, makes me want to take a nap

Where do you store the inflatable mattress when you're not sleeping on it?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #4

We deflate it, (actually we have the grandkids do that), roll it up and put it in it's bag in the storage area under the couch. The deflated mattress is probably about 15" long by about 10" wide...pretty small considering the comfort it offers!
Rolling up the sleeping bags, folding the blankets and stowing it all, really makes me want to get a bigger trailer! Especially one with a bedroom!

Noreene
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #5

Noreene thats brilliant the way you have your bed figured out.

Our 2201TL has a double goucho couch. I don't know if it's going to work yet but I bought a 2" thick piece of memory foam thats queen size. The plan is to put it under the couch cushion and fold the rest behind the back cushion. At night we'll put it on top of the cushions and then put a 'Travasak' on top of it.

It's works real well in my head, gonna have to see if it'll actually work. It's just the two of us so we don't need the bunk so I'm going to take out the mattress and then use that space to store the Travasak and pillows.

Now on the other hand if this grandiose idea doesn't pan out... I'm going to get an inflatable mattress and borrow some grandkids

Neal
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #6

Our first voyage out in our '94 was brutal in the fold out couch/bed. Since then, my wife found a 4" memory foam mattress topper at a local Costco. Incredible! The thing is now as comfortable as our Sterns & Foster Golden Elegance king at home! Really!!
12 x 6 enclosed toy hauler trailer
MagnaFazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #7

MagnaFazer -

Dang! I'm jealous. I thought our slept GREAT after we put the two inch memory foam on it, I can only imagine what four inches would be like. Where do you store it?

Neal
Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal and Bev View Post
MagnaFazer -

Dang! I'm jealous. I thought our slept GREAT after we put the two inch memory foam on it, I can only imagine what four inches would be like. Where do you store it?

Neal
My wife will roll it up and store it in the closet in the bathroom. If we are planning to use the RV within 4-6 weeks, she will sometimes leave the bed made up.
12 x 6 enclosed toy hauler trailer
MagnaFazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaFazer View Post
Since then, my wife found a 4" memory foam mattress topper at a local Costco. Incredible!
We also just recently bought one of these topper pads from Costco and just got back from 3 nights at Disney. It was great sleeping. Should of got one of them years ago! Since we have the full time bed in the back ... we will just leave it on the bed all the time.
skmwalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
I think that the one thing that all travel trailers and campers have in common is that who ever designed the beds never actually had to sleep in one

The bed was just to uncomfortable for us.

I removed the couch cushsions (we leave the bed down all the time)

I bought a foldable fouton mattress & a 4" costco memory foam topper.

Next I installed a removable 2x8 with brackets and welded a custom leg extension which made the bed a true size double.

Now that we have a comfortable bed, we don't want to leave the campsite to go home.

Les 97 21ft. towlite 06 toyota tocoma
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #11

I took down the bunkbed mattress and put it on top of the couch cushions and it was very comfy.

wv j
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #12

Our 22T is one of those rare models with a standard double-sized mattress on a fixed bed, in place of the sofa bed that's more common. We decided we wanted a good sleep, and would trade the sitting space for not having to make up the bed at night. Even with the mattress though, we added a 1 3/4 inch foam topper to it, and that increased the comfort.
Gord.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #13

i've heard(and seen) adding carpet padding to the top of the bunk adds alot of comfort to the bed. used to do it on the popup I've had before
Billb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #14

We got rid of the regular mattress on our bed and bought an Aero air mattress. It sleeps well and with the loss of the regular mattress weight, makes it easier to access the storage space beneath the bed.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #15

these are all good ideas! i like the one where you took out the bunk matress and used the space for storing the bedding and foam. i may even use it over top the bed and see how it feels.
i have yet to sleep in mine but i am selling it anyways as i found the one with a front clicky couch and side dinette. i will leave the couch as a bed so i don't have to make it eveynight. it will also give the dogs more area to hand out. with the one i have now, if i open the side couch for them, then there goes all the floor space for me to move around.
can't wait for spring so i can try it all out!!
Jthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #16
sam

Default Modifications to make bed comfy.

Quote:

We have two couchesin the front of our 90 classic. Our first thing we tried was an air mattress and some additional foam pad. It turned out to be a slidy deal. Then one day it occured to me that a local mattress co. would make us up a foam mattress to sit on top of the pulled out couch. We parked on the shoulder of the road and the salesman came out and took measurements. The foam mattress looks just like a home version. All our couches are different sizes. You could get any where from 2" to 6" thick. They even put a corner slant to follow the couch. I use single bed sheets with garter type straps to hold the sheets taught underneath. They cost 100.00 $ a piece if my memory is correct. They still look brand new. We leave the beds made up all the time. Our adult daughter uses a four " memory foam topper on the dinette bed that we leave up all the time. We got the topper at Walmart. I Had to cut the topper down and used the pieces to make picnic bench pads. The mattress place is no longer in business. All this talk about sleeping makes me want to take a nap!! Take care,SAM
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #17

We tried a two inch thick memory foam topper (from Costco) on the bed in our 2704T. WOW what a difference! Sam's daughter must feel like she's sleeping on a cloud, because we sure do. I believe that memory foam could make a bed of nails feel comfortable!

Because of the extra overall mattress thickness we also had to start using sheet garters to keep the fitted lower sheet from slipping up and off.

If you are looking for a foam mattress topper, I absolutely recommend this memory foam stuff. They are denser and therefore weigh more and are kind of floppy, so I think the best application would be on a bed you have set up full time.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #18

Noreene

We'll be making a LONG trip from Oklahoma to Oregon in our "new to us" 15' Hilo Towlite named Shrimp. We do not want to leave the bed made up all of the time since we like to sit at the table and talk, drink coffee, etc. HOWEVER, we made a trial run last week - using the cushions on each side of the table, we made the bed - by morning, the cushion at the top of my head was 2" down, the cushion at the bottom of our feet was back in position on the seat and my rear was on wood! MUST have an alternative mattress of some type and what you have sounds GREAT. Would you please share what brand, type, etc of inflatable and deflatable mattress you have. We're both over 70, so hope it is something easy. Granddaughter says we're old age, but young souls - she can't appreciate a lousy night on a hard bed. LOL
Elizabeth a/k/a The Duffer's wife.
hiloduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:51 AM   #19
Site Team

Jim, We used the same foam for our pop-up and as a spare bed in our 24' Hi Lo. That was truly sleeping on a cloud. Our 27' Hi Lo has a Park Lane queen and is quite comfortable.
We had two small ropes (strings) laid under the foam so when we were done with the foam, I simply rolled it up. best I could, tied the ropes and stowed it in the unused shower. Worked for us!
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote