Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Interior Bedding, seating, storage and more

Old 04-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #1

Default Magnets on Kitchen Drawers

While Beach's shoulder has been healing from surgery, we have been correcting little things that bug us on our Hi-Lo. One of these things is a kitchen drawer that falls out of its slot while towing. So far, we have used the primitive method of snugly looping bungie cord through the handles and across the cabinets and then tying them off. We have to untie when we camp and tie again when we leave. I hate it!!

Beach suggested putting locks on the drawers. But why go to that expense when one might possibly install magnets on the drawers. However, I'm scratching my head over where and how those magnets would be installed, and would they interfere (or make it difficult) with easily using the drawers while we are camping. I open and close those kitchen drawers a lot!!

Has anyone used this solution in their Hi-Lo or has anyone any good ideas?

Dee
in Summerville, SC
2009 Hi-Lo 2509

Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

Dee,

Glad to hear Beach is up and about trying to keep you busy. Apparently you are not cramming enought stuff in your drawers to keep them from opening while traveling. Usually the drawers have a small piece of wood attached vertically to the back panel of the drawer. This acts as a stop to keep them from coming all the way out. The factory was notorious for using staples instead of screws on items.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Site Team

We don't have drawers in the kitchen, but the door under the sink kept opening. I added a magnetic latch to it and solved the problem. I also put a heavy duty magnetic latch on the drawer next to the upper right of the refrigerator. It stays closed now too.

I found I had to resort to a bungee cord over the refrigerator door though, to keep it closed while traveling. I just put an eyelet on either side of the door so the bungee cord stretches across the door when it's in place. I take the cord off one side and let it hang while camping.

- Jack
Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #4

We have similar problem in our bathroom drawers, whenever we try to take it out it falls, as if there is no support to hold drawers properly into the cell.
donitakate is offline   Reply With Quote