Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Interior Bedding, seating, storage and more

Old 09-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

Default Renovation Begins

About a month ago I drove to Michigan and bought a 2497D. I was assured that there were NO LEAKS (and I did not find any evidence thereof except for a small soft spot in the right side bathroom wall. Easy fix, says I).

Everything worked. There was no musty odor or any other weird odor. No soft spots found. Nothing that I considered a deal buster. This isn't my first rodeo, and I thought I could find damage if it existed.

Wrong! When I began the repair on the bathroom wall, I found that it extended from the extreme left end all the way to the middle of the left wall, and about 1/3 the way across the roof. I've begun the tearing out process, and found that I have total de-lamination around the large left side window. I know how I'm going to repair this, but BEFORE I start, I would appreciate any suggestions that others might have. I've searched the forum and don't find any specifics on this topic. I would also appreciate hearing from anyone who has replaced the bottom rail. If you know of existing posts that comments on these subjects, please direct me to them.

BTW, I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but I have been around the world twice, been to two goat ropings and one county fair. I also know what's in every book in every library in the world. Words!

Thanks (and pleas ignore my BS)

RudyRedNek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
sam

Default Restoring your HiLo

Rudy red nek, Love your light humor. I have a 1990 25ft. HiLo classic that we have had to do extensive restoration on. We did not have to rebuild the rails or do any roof restoration. Presently we need to have our rubber roof replaced and have some interior ceiling wrinkling. We are going to take it to the repair place in Ohio. They are able to give us a metal roof and do the interior repairs and laminate all the layers together. I would think you would have to do your roof repairs first. Both exterior and interior. See Garyk42-he did quite a bit of restoration and roof replacement. Everything is fixable. It is a matter of how much time and $ for materials you have. I did a written word and picture description on Photo bucket. Also go to off topic 1990 HiLo classic restoration. !990 Classic pictures by Sam TLPX-Photo Restoration on Photobucket.bucket. We are the second owner of this unit and have had it for 12 yrs. Still learning many things. I am here to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to PM me if need be. Many many of us have had to do rebuilds. A few weeks ago we were out camping any it poured . We were hi and dry-so our repairs have held up.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #3

Thanks Sam. I've been reading many of your posts. It seems that you are the HI-LO guru. When I find comments by you and others, I copy them and save them to a folder called Hi-Lo (wow, how smart is that?) so that I have them ready for quick reference.

I got to thinking last night, after posting, that some people might take my attempt at humor as being a wise acre. It's happened before! I think life is too short to NOT have a sense of humor. I'd hate to go through looking and acting like Harry Reid.

I'm sure I'll have questions as I go along. If I become a pain in the posterior, just let me know.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
sam

Default HiLo restoration

I have saved many of the HiLo posting also. Great minds think alike. The reason i doccumented our restoration story is so that others would have an easier time when doing repairs. Do you have a barn or something covered to work on your project?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #5

Yes, I do. It is in an over sized garage (RV Garage) at my house so I can work on it when ever I want. Worked about 4 hours and called it a day!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
sam

Default Rudy RedNek

That is good you have a place to work on it over the fall and winter. Take pictures as you progress. Seems like you have learned that water does travel great distances and can do much dammage. Let us know what you are tearing out. Do you have to rebuild the roof first?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

I'm still in the tearing out part. I will, after I finish tearing out, "waterboard" the roof. Hopefully within the next week or so. I don't want to do that after the cold weather arrives. It appears to me that the roof has been re-coated recently. I don't know if the damage occurred before the roof was re-coated and the owner figured that would solve the problem or what? Having been through repairing a leaky roof on a conventional TT, I'm of the opinion that this one is in pretty good shape.

As previously stated, I don't make mistrakes, and I've only been wrong one time in my life. That was one time when I thought I was wrong and I was actually right (don't I wish).
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
sam

Default Restoration begins

Maybe the previous owner coated the roof to hide the dammage?!!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #9

Default common practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Maybe the previous owner coated the roof to hide the dammage?!!
This is a very common practice by homeowners.
Some people not give enough wattage to roof inspection and hence they get hopeless roof..

nancygof is offline   Reply With Quote