Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Interior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Interior Bedding, seating, storage and more

Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #1

Default Soft Wall

In our 1988 HiLo that we purchased this year, we have found some soft places in the bathroom wall. Has anyone here done any work on there interior walls. We will probably never use shower but would like to fix wall so we wouldn't have issues later. Thanks for any help you might give
Becky

Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #2

Hi Becky,

This is a good question that comes up in the HTF occasionally. I can think of several ways you might deal with a soft spot, although J & R Repair probably encounters this problem periodically and may have developed quick and cost effective spot repair. You should contact them first.

Generally water is the root cause of soft spots, so even before repairing the spot try to find and stop the source of water seepage/leakage. What caused you to notice the soft spots, is there some water staining or other discoloration? Are there depressions where the soft spots are located? Any old picture nail holes on the inside wall? If there is or was a towel rack or hooks in the vicinity, are the holes or mounting flanges sealed? Etc.

Good luck.
Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
Hi Becky,

This is a good question that comes up in the HTF occasionally. I can think of several ways you might deal with a soft spot, although J & R Repair probably encounters this problem periodically and may have developed quick and cost effective spot repair. You should contact them first.

Generally water is the root cause of soft spots, so even before repairing the spot try to find and stop the source of water seepage/leakage. What caused you to notice the soft spots, is there some water staining or other discoloration? Are there depressions where the soft spots are located? Any old picture nail holes on the inside wall? If there is or was a towel rack or hooks in the vicinity, are the holes or mounting flanges sealed? Etc.

Good luck.
Jim
I have some soft wall issues also and I am going to J & R later this month to have them inspect my whole Hi-Lo. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #4

Default Soft Wall

The wall is soft above bath tub. Just found it by pushing on wall. No water stain or anything. I think it is from previous owners not having shower curtain secure when using shower. Any help from you guys and gals will be greatly appreciated. We are only using camper for our fair and activities that go with the fair so we cannot afford to have proffessionals fix it since we will use it only a few weeks out of the year. Hubby has a plan to fix the top half of our door as it leaked in around the window.
Thanks again for any help!
Becky
Old 03-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #5

TJM,

Thanks (in advance) for passing on how J & R Repair will be addressing the soft-wall issue. Our 2704T has composite walls, and although I've not detected soft spots, I'd like to be ready with a solution if they do appear!

Becky,

I would still contact J & R Repair. I doubt they'll charge for reasonable advice or recommendations for the occasional Hi-Lo problem. Now, if you were to bug them all the time, I'm sure they'd start objecting. I've communicated with them and they are well aware that not all Hi-Lo owners can make it to their shop for repairs, for various reasons... particularly travel distance.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #6

Default Soft Wall

Jim
How would I do about reaching these people.
Do they have a web site?
Thanks, Becky
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #7

Becky,

Here's the info for contacting J & R Repair

Phone: 419-883-3001

email: jrrepair@centurylink.net

web: Home - JR REPAIR

Jim & Rob are the guys there.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #8

Default Soft Wall

Thank You
Old 03-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

Becky,

Please keep us posted regarding any solutions to your soft wall.

Thanks, Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #10

Try checking outside for leaks too. I had a major repair on the back of our trailer because the clearance/running lights had not been sealed properly. I would try removing and replacing the inside paneling. You can see what's going on with it removed. If the leak is found and stopped, you might be able to just let it dry out thoroughly and then make your repair.

Brian and Delores

1995 23' Towlight / F150 Fx4
Towlighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #11
sam

Default Soft Walls

Our service manager told us to remove windows and reseal with butyl tape that can be purchased at rv dealer. Then caulk outside of window after scraping and cleaning. This pertains to older trailers. It takes two people to do this job. Checki the window on the outside for squeeze out after more miles. Check the window frame screws on the inside after travel. All that rough travel can make the screws sl. loose. With window out you can see how the wall is made'put together. Good wat to see water leaks. Back your screws off where thay attach at the awning/wall and caulk/retighten. We have three more windows to do this spring.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #12

Default Soft Wall

Unfortunatly, there is no paneling it is wall paper. I inguired at J&R and they said to bring it to them. Unfortanatly I cannot so I guess we are on our own as to how to fix it. Unless any of you can help. Thanks in advance!
Becky