Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Interior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Interior Bedding, seating, storage and more

Old 03-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #1

Default soft wall in need of guidance

Hi my names Derick and I was recently given a hi-lo towlight 170rk and really am impressed. Every function seems to work great other than I have a soft wall on the window side . It only seems to be between the mid window towards the tongue and some water damage under the front window which I assume is due to what we vet issue caused the soft window . My questions are before I get too deep are the sides metal skeletons with some light wood framing. And what's the best for of attack. From the inside or attempting to get the aluminum skin from the outside. I'm in eastern North Carolina and can't find anyone other than one local rv store and there probably wanting big $$! I'm very mechanically inclined and pretty fair with wood working and electrical. Pretty much a jack of all trades . Im not afraid to tackle this myself but would like all the advice possible. I have been reading alot on the forum for weeks before I actually joined

polaritycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

polarity cat Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will come along with a few back posts(stories ) of towlite rebuilds. Since you are handy you can do this. The reason water wall damage occurs is because in most cases the windows need to be taken out and resealed. All the windows need to be taken out and resealed.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #3

I too am new to the forum. I have a 1999 Tow-lite. I had a few soft walls that seem to be getting worse month to month. I enjoy doing things myself, not scared to tackle new things. As I tore into the vinyl cover it got deeper and deeper and the ending result looked like the pictures I posted. Thanks for the metal framing this thing would have fallen apart down the road. My wife and I have had it for several years and enjoy camping in it. I'm all in restoring it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg towLite (1) - Copy.JPG (66.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg towLite (6) - Copy.JPG (66.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg towLite (8) - Copy.JPG (57.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg towLite (10) - Copy.JPG (60.9 KB, 41 views)
mferg003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

Thanks for the words of incouragement. Unfortunately I don't think my hi low can be dis assembled fron the outside. It looks to be 1 thin sheet of aluminum. And I'm afraid of wrinkling it or tearing it .

https://picasaweb.google.com/1080737...37700405/Popup
Old 03-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Except for the end pieces (my trailer has plastic end caps), your trailer looks almost identical to mine. And, it does seem to me that the side is one piece of aluminum.

I suggest you take the window out. I suspect it will be fairly easy to do that and with the window out, you'll be able to see more regarding the damage due to any leaking. That might tell you if it looks like it would be worth investigating the damage further, or, maybe you could just live with it if you caulked everything up and reassembled the window.

I've just taken the window out of my door. I noticed the glass had slipped and was open along the edges at the top and bottom. The glass is held in place by foam tape and plastic pins around the periphery, and several of those pins had broken off. The foam tape was dried out and not holding either. So, I'm in the process of repairing that. Fortunately, I don't seem to have gotten any water damage.

- Jack
Old 03-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #6

i would take Jacks suggestion and do that first. i started on mine from the inside and it snow balled into a complete redo. I do still think there is a 1x1 tube frame to stucturally support the sides. maybe not though. need to contact J & R trailer repair on this form they have parts and answers for all of them.
mferg003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
sam

Default soft wall dammage

Polaritycat What year is your towlite? Certain model years were wood frames and other years metal. My understanding is that towlites can be taken apart from the inside for rebuilding. If your repairs are extensive enough than you may need to support/brace on the inside. If you take your window out then you can see the inside condition of your soft wall.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #8

I don't have the paperwork here with me but I'm thinking it's a late 90s model
Old 03-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferg003 View Post
i would take Jacks suggestion and do that first. i started on mine from the inside and it snow balled into a complete redo. I do still think there is a 1x1 tube frame to stucturally support the sides. maybe not though. need to contact J & R trailer repair on this form they have parts and answers for all of them.
thanks alot i guess i need to go that route, there is a local rv dealer here but he said all he could do is look and give me a quote no free advice
Old 03-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #10
sam

Default soft wall dammage

RV dealers charge ballpark $95.00 an hr. You won't know the full extent of your damage until you start the tear out. Repairs usually run into the thousands of dollars.