Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Interior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Interior Bedding, seating, storage and more

Old 08-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #1

Default Supposed to be a gap in couch / bed?

So when I turn the couch into a bed, there is quite a big gap between the two pieces. Is that normal?

mrdorkdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:34 AM   #2

In our 1999 22 footer, that front couch does leave quite a depression or crack where the cushions come together. Eventually we got about a two inch thick foam pad to roll out on it and it was a good deal better, though not quite what I would like. Thought about cutting a triangular long piece of foam to fill the gap, but not sure if it would stay in place.

We keep the foam pad rolled up in the shower stall if we don't have the bed set up. Which is not often, as we tend to leave the bed down on a trip.

I too would be interested in hearing if someone has a better solution.

McKesh Mirrors
Andersen Hitch
anchorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #3

Default Matteress

We flip the couch mattress over so the seamis facing down. Then we place 4in foam topper sleep like a log and very comfortable no seam problems. Good luck.
RJtheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #4

I was planning on removing the couch and making a platform for a real mattress
quickfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #5

I had a three inch piece of foam cut to fit and use full size bedding. I have also added 1' wood strips to the 'inside' of each seat so the table does not fall. In addition the accessory strip is backed with steel for support at the end so it does not break if someone steps on it getting into the top bunk.

A friend has a $700. custom mattress but she also has a dinette. I need to lift the cushions on one side to access the fresh water tank plus the water heater and the hose I use for winterizing. I installed a valve which I open when filling the fresh water tank in case I don't get the hose turned off in time. I close the valve for traveling since I previously was loosing about a third of my fresh water when traveling some back roads to work on the Colorado trail.

I raise the other side for access storage the heater and the valves for draining when winterizing. I don't know whether a custom mattress would be flexible enough for this.

Tomorrow when the new owners take possession I hope they appreciate these additions.
RICHARD1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:36 AM   #6

We had a similar problem on our 2307C - the previous owner had the bottom cushion foam replaced but left the original foam in the backrest, so it was a LOT softer.

We had both cushions replaced with high density foam, and also had a 2" thick full width high density "topper" made and upholstered - it's pretty firm, and very comfortable.\ 95% of the time, it's just two of us using the trailer, so we leave the sofa set up as a bed full time.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #7

Mine would have been more comfortable if I had it upholstered. That will be an option for the new owner. Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it along.

RICHARD1943 is offline   Reply With Quote