Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Interior Bedding, seating, storage and more

Old 07-09-2021, 07:16 PM   #1

Default Towing with the bunk in the down position

I know the manual says to put the bunk up for traveling but they don't specifically say you can't travel with it down. I like the extra storage it provides so I'd like to leave it down since I don't use it for sleeping. Any reason I shouldn't do this?

Old 07-09-2021, 10:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Interesting question. I've not tried that and would have to go look at my trailer to see if there could be a problem. But, from memory, doesn't the bunk attach to the top half of the trailer, but when it's down, don't the legs go into holes in the lower half? If so, I imagine there could be some rather bad interaction on the various parts of the bunk as you lowered the top.

However, if you left the legs up, along the sides to the bunk as it would be in the stowed position, then I think it would be attached only to the top half. It might lower safely and not be damaged this way.

Study your bunk carefully and see if the top can be lowered without unhappy interactions when it's down. Once down, if you determine it's safe to do that, look at it to judge how it will ride under the stresses of travel on the road.

- Jack

Old 07-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
doesn't the bunk attach to the top half of the trailer, but when it's down, don't the legs go into holes in the lower half? If so, I imagine there could be some rather bad interaction on the various parts of the bunk as you lowered the top.
Oh jeeze, now I'm just embarrassed! How could I have missed that? Never mind...
Old 07-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #4
Site Team

No need to be embarrassed! I'd be a wealthy man if I had a dollar for every time I thought of something I later determined was stupid.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
No need to be embarrassed! I'd be a wealthy man if I had a dollar for every time I thought of something I later determined was stupid.

- Jack
yea I would be a millionaire too
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote