Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Routine Maintenance & Service | Winterizing Required and suggested maintenance, storage and winterizing topics.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #1

Default 2005 towlite 27 foot winter storage position

Is it o.k. to store the trailer in the up(camping) position all winter in the off season? We do and have for several years? We live in snow country,and wonder if it puts any strain on the structure. Clean snow off as often as possible. Randy

rellingrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
sam

Default Winter storage

I also live in snow country. Our HiLo is stored in the down position with a cover on. It is a good idea to take snow off. That reminds me we are presently getting 11"sof snow. I will have to clean the roof off. In the summer time if you want to leave it up for extended periods of time I would put 2x4s at the exterior corners. This will take some tension off the cables. I stained and put finish on my 2x4s.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellingrod View Post
Is it o.k. to store the trailer in the up(camping) position all winter in the off season? We do and have for several years? We live in snow country,and wonder if it puts any strain on the structure. Clean snow off as often as possible. Randy
I also live in snow country. You DO NOT leave the top up if there is snow. If you were to calculate the weight of the snow you would know why. I saw a Hi-Lo that was left up during winter. The observation was, the top fell and caused extensive damage to the trailer and it had to be totaled.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I also live in snow country. That reminds me we are presently getting 11"sof snow.
Ugh ... just colder than normal down here so I won't complain

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:47 PM   #5
sam

Default Snow up to my knees.

I let DH and DD deal with the snow. I just stay inside and keep warm. I cooked egg plant parm. I will take some to my friend who is recuperating from major surgery. Today I made stuffed manacotti. So nice when you come in the house and it smells good. My friend like egg plant parm. When we have a good year growing them in the garden I make it for our camping potluck.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #6

We live in NW Montana and have been storing the camper in the down position with a big tarp over it. The tarp went all the way down to the ground- NOW this spring we find out that the tarp was just supposto just cover the top. Mositure got in between the walls and we now have mildew inside the walls. JUST COVER THE TOP!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #7

Thanks for your true experience report. You are living testimony that you should never cover a travel trailer with a tarp.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
sam

Default Using Damp Rid in the winter

DH got a container of damp rid from where he used to work. A freebee. Placed it in the HiLo over the winter and the container was full of water the other day. We have no way to go under the cover and replace all winter. Wouldn't think about thisd much humidity in the cold north.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #9

Keep top up but put 1x3s or 1x4s under each corner tight, then let top down a little. Keeps boxes sealed and unstresses cables. Open windows just a little and if you cover, make sure it is breathable RV cover - I have not covered for 3 years and no problem, just hose off top in spring. [southern Michigan]

atboyd is offline   Reply With Quote