Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Routine Maintenance & Service | Winterizing Required and suggested maintenance, storage and winterizing topics.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Eternabond or Caulk

After ten years of ownership I thought I should re-seal seams. Discussions here on eterana bond tape but I tend to have to work by myself and I am a bit clumsy. The eterna bond tapes looks great but I'm am afraid of application process as described by previous users so aM thinking cauk might be easier for me. If so, reccomendations on what type? or, advice in general. Then maybe kool seal.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:06 PM   #2

I just sealed all the seams on my tow lite, used eteranabond tape vary satisfied the way it sealed down and the way it looked. Had one other person that helped. If at all possible I would defiantly go that route. But probably need someone to kind of help hold the tape and peel the backing off as you keep it lined up and lay it once it laid its not coming off.

midmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #3
sam

Default Sealing seams

I would kool seal first following the directions on the can. You can use blue painters tape where the roof turns over the side. Remove immediately after the second coat. Get on the website for externa bond tape. It might give you some tips for application. I would wait a week after cool seal before using externa bond tape. Some have used caulk on the top side edges of the externa bond tape. Since your HiLo is ten yrs. old have you removed all thje windows and resealed with butyl tape and Lexel caulk? Time consuming,but worth the effort. Easier to do than replacing walls due to water damage. DH is going to inspect our HiLo for any areas that need to re caulked. J&R told us to be sure and caulk above the metal strip on the exterior at the belt line. Metal strip that cover some wires or is it plastic? Best of luck with your preventive maintenance.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #4

I am doing a Kool Seal on my 2203 now, 2 coats of primer and a finish coat complete, will do the second finish coat this weekend. Taped off all edges with frog tape, made for clean edges. Remove that tape quickly before sealant starts to set up. I’ll try and post some pictures next.
Trblandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #5

Aactually, Sam, the trailer is 20 years old. I"ve only had it ten. Looks like there was re cauking done before I got it. And, yes, I re sealed the windows 2 years ago. So- kool seal and THEN erternabond rather than the other way around? Would have though otherwise but that is why I'm here asking. Thanks

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #6

What is this product exactly & is it ok to use on rubber roof?
WayneinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #7
Site Team

wayne, eternabond is a tape like sealing system that takes one person to put it on and six men and a boy to remove it. And, yes, it can be used on a rubber roof. About $48 a roll, but worth it, if you need it. I've sealed holes in metal roofs, and tears in rubber roofs. But as stated, it's very hard to remove without a heat gun.
Kool Seal is an elastimeric (sp) seal coat that is SPECIFIC for roof type. formulated for metal OR rubber roofs. I do my roofs (one metal, one rubber) every other year
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote