Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Audio video
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Audio video TV, Radio, Satellite, speakers, etc

Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #1

Default backup camera

Hi I am wanting to install a backup camera on my 21L and was wandering if anyone has put one on and where is the best place to locate the camera. I plan on using it to see behind the camper while going down the road.
thanks

morstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #2

Default Check Specs Carefully

I thought about this once and what I discovered was that the transmission range was somewhat limited. I need almost 40 feet and didn't see that kind of range on my search at that time. Hard wired might be an option I did not explore.

Kengsr

kengsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #3

The guy that we bought our Hi-Lo from told me that he had bought a wireless backup camera and mounted on the back of the Hi-Lo. He said the the distance caused it to not work. He returned it and bought a wired camera, he ran the wire along the trailer to tow vehicle power cord and underneath the camper to the rear bumper. He said it worked very well. He didn't include the camera with the deal, but he did leave the wiring in place. I keep thinking that I might add a camera.. so many toys and so few dollars!

(I wonder if Bev would notice if one magically appeared?)

Neal
Old 06-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #4

Default back up camera

I have used back up camera for big mtr homes and have installed them on the back of tow vech to aid in hook up before. But I never saw the need to install one on the back of my hilo. With the Ford factory extending oversize mirrrors I can see fine.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #5

Smile Backup camera

I thought I would do an update. I went ahead and bought a peak wireless backup camera system with a 7 in display off of ebay and installed it. I did have to make an extension cable to run the transmitter to the front of my hilo. I ran it inside and placed the transmitter inside the front storeage compartment. I took a 300 mile trip and I am glad I had it! it worked good with minor flickers and interferance driving through Walmart parking lot.
mortang
Old 07-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by morstang View Post
I thought I would do an update. I went ahead and bought a peak wireless backup camera system with a 7 in display off of ebay and installed it. I did have to make an extension cable to run the transmitter to the front of my hilo. I ran it inside and placed the transmitter inside the front storeage compartment. I took a 300 mile trip and I am glad I had it! it worked good with minor flickers and interferance driving through Walmart parking lot.
mortang
Hi - thanks for sharing your info about the wireless peak system. I was wondering where your routed the wire from the camera to the transmitter - is there a way to "conceal" it on the inside, or did you run it on the outside over the roof?

Also, can you use it as you are driving along sort of like a video "rear view mirror"? I do not have factory extendable tow mirrors and find that the aftermarket ones leave a bit to be desired!

Thanks, Andy
Old 07-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #7

Default Update

Yes I use it as a video rear view mirror while driving down the road. There has been a couple of times since installing it there were people riding my rear bumper that I never would have known they were there otherwise. you have to keep in mind that the objects are closer in the monitor than they really are.
As for routing I placed it on the rear window cover and ran the wire thru a small hole I drilled next to the window that placed the wire inside the bathroom cabinet. I then ran it along the inside top corner of the camper and thru cabinets as needed. Where it is not running thru cabinets the wire doesn't stand out enough to be a problem. I placed the transmitter inside the front cabinet. for now I have just tapped into a 12v light for power and unplug it while not in use. In the future when I have time I plan to tie it into the parking lights on the camper.