Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Audio video
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Audio video TV, Radio, Satellite, speakers, etc

Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch
Default Swith at antenna

What does the switch located on the tv antenna coax plate, the one with the DC plug on it, do?

vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #2

Default switch

This is an amplifier for your tv signal when it is in the on position. I don't know if this works with the frequencies of high definition that is used today.
Try it in the on position with your HDTV converter box with the antenna up and the switch in the on position.
My converter box works great for the antenna signals when cable is not available.

sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #3

The antenna doesn't know the difference between analog and digital. They are both radio signals.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #4

Ok, I have another question, I just bought a new lcd flat screen, I don't need a converter box for that correct? I also modified a little, I split the signal after that cover plate and ran a coax to the front of the trailer. I hooked it all up and turned on the tv and turned on the power on the antenna, It picked up one channel without it on and none with it on. I did that in town (Greensburg PA which is about twenty miles away from Pittsburgh.) and then I went up to the Laurel Mountains and tried it there and got nothing. Am I doing it right? Or is there just no reception in the mountains? I've never tried it in a tent....;-)
Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #5

you need antenna up and have to turn it to find stations
kwdstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #6

I didn't know it turned! Oh.... (head slap) that's the dial against the ceiling!!!!
Ya gotta bear with the rookie here....
Old 09-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #7

lol you have to pull down on the ring why you turn it
Old 09-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #8

Ya I figured it out, I never really looked at it closely. It still doesn't pic anything up, even the one I picked up in town isn't coming in. It was a little cloudy this morning I'll try it this evening.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #9

if your flat screen is like mine you have to do a channel search every time you move the antenna
Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #10

I got a channel, there is just bad reception. I live in town and there are two story houses all around mine and my trailer. I did a small modification and I didn't know if I screwed something up. The original coax wiring is on the port side just in front of the bathroom. I pushed the coax connector up through the cover plate, split it and ran one side to a seperate double cover plate and the other to a tv/cable switch, and then onto the front shelf in the nosecone. This gives me the ability to have the tv (antenna or cable service) on the frig or in the nosecone. For cable I wired the unused connector of the double coax cover and ran a jumper from that to the cable side of the switch, thus giving me the option to run a jumper coax from the external "supply" to the double coax cover plate and then onto the nosecone. I also installed a 400watt inverter in the cabinet just starboard of the factory stereo and installed a power receptacle in the shelf. Did I say all of that clearly?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #11

Default Antenna

Be sure that you turn the antenna back to the starting position before lowering it. "Front to back" position.
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #12

Got it, thanks for your help!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #13

Default TV Antenna

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if the cover box you are referring to is not the one with the power switch but rather the one where the outside TV connection comes in, then you should know that you need a TV cable from the power recepticle to that outlet, otherwise you are not using the antenna.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

When you say you split the signal, did you use a splitter, that's made for this purpose and new coax connectors? You didn't just cut the wire and connect together, I say this cause I have saw other people try to do it this way and it won't work.
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if the cover box you are referring to is not the one with the power switch but rather the one where the outside TV connection comes in, then you should know that you need a TV cable from the power recepticle to that outlet, otherwise you are not using the antenna.
I'm referring to the antenna coax connection, not the cable connection.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
When you say you split the signal, did you use a splitter, that's made for this purpose and new coax connectors? You didn't just cut the wire and connect together, I say this cause I have saw other people try to do it this way and it won't work.
Yes, I pushed the connector back up into the cover plate (white coax in image 1&2), ran a short jumper into a coax splitter (image 3), ran one side to the antenna/cable switch (image 4) and ran the other into a seperate double coax cover plate (image 5) that I mounted next to the the original cover plate. I also ran a jumper from the second coax terminal on the double cover plate (labeled "cable in" in image 5) to the cable side of the antenna/cable switch. Now all that I have to do when I am plugged into a shore cable connection is run a jumper from the original cable connection mounted on the side of the refrigerator to the double coax cover plate at the cable side which runs to the cable side of the switch and then onto the nosecone......see?...

I suppose that I new that it was the amplifier, but the first time that I used it I got the one and only channel here in Greensburg without using the amplifier, I turned it on and off and it didn't seem to do anything. The day I posted this it was very overcast and I couldn't get any channel, that's when the question arose. I was wondering if I screwed something up, but with the amplifier on and now that I know that the antenna rotates I was able to tune in the single channel that I originally had.

Did you follow that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0291.jpg (91.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0289.jpg (96.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0288.jpg (97.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0287.jpg (83.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0284.jpg (87.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #17

Besides the channel search in the "setup mode" on the tv, you have to tell the tv whether you are using an antenna (air) or cable for reception. This will make a difference in your reception.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

From Greensburg I would think you should be able to get a couple stations out of Pittsburg. Unless you are down on the back side. I live about 40 miles north of Phila. and I can get several stations out of Phila.
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #19

if your wall plate is a winegard it has a jack in the back for cable in atenna in and set 2 to switch from antenna to cable turn the switch on front to off. here is link to there info on it. http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2451488.pdf
Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwdstalker View Post
if your wall plate is a winegard it has a jack in the back for cable in atenna in and set 2 to switch from antenna to cable turn the switch on front to off. here is link to there info on it. http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2451488.pdf
That makes it easier!...
I would still have to add a separate coax plate for my cable in but it would definitely eliminate the cable spaghetti.