Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-26-2022, 02:03 PM   #1

Default 12 volt lights

I have a 1993 26 BR and the front half of trailer the lights will not work. They were working before. I checked all of the fuses and are all good. I flipped the breaker would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you

Jamesh1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Team

If the fuses are good, you possibly have a break in one of the wires, or, a faulty ground connection (which is the same thing). I'm pretty sure those lights use a common ground.

Use a multimeter and trace them.

- Jack

Old 03-26-2022, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
If the fuses are good, you possibly have a break in one of the wires, or, a faulty ground connection (which is the same thing). I'm pretty sure those lights use a common ground.

Use a multimeter and trace them.

- Jack
I will have to get a meter and find some one to help me. I am 100% diable Vet and will not be able to do it myself. I thank you for the help.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:16 PM   #4

Breakers are for AC. Lights run off DC. When did you last use the lights? Beach
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:28 PM   #5

I used them about three weeks ago. I have lights in back half of trailer but not the front half.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Jamesh, in my trailer there are two separate circuits for the interior lights, each protected by a 15A fuse. Are you sure both fuses are good? Sometimes, you can't tell by just looking at them. You could get a replacement 15A fuse and substitute it, one at a time into each of the interior light fuse holders. Check the lights with the new fuse installed, if they still don't work then you have a wiring problem.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:41 AM   #7

I checked the fuses with a tester, and they were good, but I will change them anyway
Old 03-31-2022, 03:56 PM   #8

Check the wire bundle that is in the cloth sleeve in the back corner of the trailer and see if there is a disconnected wiring connection there. I believe they are wire nutted together.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:19 PM   #9
Site Team

Great catch, Rich! I should have thought of that! Yes, they are connected with wire nuts.

- Jack
Old 04-01-2022, 05:33 AM   #10

I have never seen this bundle in my camper. Where bouts is it exactly?
Old 04-01-2022, 09:45 AM   #11
Site Team

In my trailer, it's in the bathroom, right next to the "stink pipe" from the black tank that runs up to the roof. You have the cloth bundle somewhere, and it's normally in a back corner. It contains all the 12V wiring that comes from the bottom half to the lights and fans in the top half. You have one - just look for a cloth covered "tube" looking thing that runs from bottom to top. Inside are all the wires and they are all spliced with wire nuts.

- Jack
Old 04-01-2022, 02:51 PM   #12

Quote:
In my trailer, it's in the bathroom, right next to the "stink pipe" from the black tank that runs up to the roof. You have the cloth bundle somewhere, and it's normally in a back corner. It contains all the 12V wiring that comes from the bottom half to the lights and fans in the top half. You have one - just look for a cloth covered "tube" looking thing that runs from bottom to top. Inside are all the wires and they are all spliced with wire nuts.

- Jack
I will look for it when I start feeling a little better. I just had my 4 th. stent placed in my heart and this has slowed me down quite a bit. I should be able to start looking next week some time. I have had that cover off behind the shower but I have not seen it.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:02 PM   #13
Site Team

It won't be "hidden". It really can't be and still work right when the top goes up and down. With the top up, it will look like a vertical cloth "tube". When the top goes down, it will kind of coil or fold in the remaining space between the top and bottom.

There won't be a "cover" in the trailer that hides it. You MAY be thinking of the plug for the Air Conditioner cord that also goes from the bottom to the top to supply AC 120V power to the unit. In my trailer this cord is always connected, but in some you have to plug it in beneath a wall cover when the top is up. It is not inside the cloth tube, but it should be next to it, when connected.

Glad you are recovering from your stent operation. We do sort of outlive our "warranties", don't we? I managed to survive four hernia operations and cataract surgery in the last 5 years.

- Jack
Old 04-02-2022, 05:03 AM   #14

Quote:
It won't be "hidden". It really can't be and still work right when the top goes up and down. With the top up, it will look like a vertical cloth "tube". When the top goes down, it will kind of coil or fold in the remaining space between the top and bottom.

There won't be a "cover" in the trailer that hides it. You MAY be thinking of the plug for the Air Conditioner cord that also goes from the bottom to the top to supply AC 120V power to the unit. In my trailer this cord is always connected, but in some you have to plug it in beneath a wall cover when the top is up. It is not inside the cloth tube, but it should be next to it, when connected.

Glad you are recovering from your stent operation. We do sort of outlive our "warranties", don't we? I managed to survive four hernia operations and cataract surgery in the last 5 years.

- Jack
My air cord is up in the hover head cabinet for travel. I will take a picture of where it could be and if I am able I will take the cover off and look for it, but there is nothing next to air cord in upper cabinet. the cover I am talking about is between the shower wall and the bedroom wall next to the outlet where air condition is plugged into when in use.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:03 AM   #15
Site Team

Take a picture of this "cover" you are talking about and the area where you would see the Air Conditioner cord if it were in use.

- Jack
Old 04-02-2022, 03:25 PM   #16

I found the cloth like wiring cover but there are no wire nut on any of the wires. I checked from top to bottom and the wires are sold with no breaks in them.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #17

I will have to fine some one to do the fuses and wiring to make sure I am getting power to the fuses, becaus I can't bend to get on floor under couch to check them myself.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:09 PM   #18
Site Team

Interesting! I wonder if a prior owner replaced the wire nuts. Since the top and bottom of the trailer are separate, prior to assembly, and are both prewired before assembly, there HAS to be joining of those wires, and HiLo liked to use wire nuts. Maybe a former owner replaced them with splice connectors, or, soldered them.

- Jack
Old 04-02-2022, 11:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Interesting! I wonder if a prior owner replaced the wire nuts. Since the top and bottom of the trailer are separate, prior to assembly, and are both prewired before assembly, there HAS to be joining of those wires, and HiLo liked to use wire nuts. Maybe a former owner replaced them with splice connectors, or, soldered them.

- Jack
I pulled the cloth up and then down and the wire have no breaks in them. they look like one continues wire, all of them.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:52 AM   #20
Site Team

Maybe someone with a similar model year trailer can help. I DO think there will be a point in the wiring where there are joins. From what you are telling me, I suspect it may be in the lower half. Does the cloth tube go into a cabinet at the bottom? If so, look inside there.

- Jack