Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 05-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #1

Default 15T Need storage area pics and/or dimensions

Hi. I have a 2008 15T that recently had some furnace hoses replaced by an out of state RV dealer. Unfortunately, though they did a great job on the hoses, they neglected to restore the storage area woodwork and no longer have it around their shop. They are willing to remedy the situation by buying and cutting the pieces, then shipping them to me to install but need pics of the finished area and also dimensions. If anyone can send me (or post here) pictures of the underseat storage area next to the sink, I would appreciate it. Here are photos of what I'm talking about. It is the storage under the gray cushion. If anyone has the plans with specific dimensions of the left wall, board that covers and hoses and any supporting pieces that would be even better. Thanks for any help you can give. The work is pretty basic but I don't have the capability to do it myself.[ATTACH]20200420_180137.jpg

20200425_115705.jpg[/ATTACH]

Erin B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Erin, Welcome to the forum! I do believe I'd just have a local guy come out with a 3 foot by 3 foot piece 1/2 inch plywood and cut it to fit and sent the RV shop the bill. A 15 min job can't cost that much. I'd do it for free, but Ohio is a bit of a commute for me.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #3

Thanks! Great minds think alike--that's actually what I discussed with them last night. They asked for an estimate, so I think it will work out. It still would be nice to have a photo. I think there was a vertical wall in front of the vents, but am not certain. Don't want to obstruct air flow if they need to be left exposed. Also think there is a missing piece of the cabinetry on the outside of storage area (facing the other bench seat) which provided a extra support. I noticed two holes near the LP gas detector that match up in height to other supports. It will be hard to get it to match the rest of the cabinetry. Hopefully they can take a support that is more hidden from view and use it in that visible spot, then put the new mismatched replacement support back in the more hidden spot so the repair isn't so visible.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Erin, I think Tree was suggesting a "floor" that would go on top of those ducts. If so, you probably need to make sure you can lift it up, because I see a PVC pipe under the ducts that has a valve at each end. You would want to be able to get to those, possibly to drain the lines for winterizing.

I wouldn't worry too much about any vertical walls, and certainly would not want one in front of the "vents". If that were my space, I'd use it to store something light such as bedding.

- Jack
Old 05-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #5

You've stated my exact thoughts, Jack. That's why the job needs to be done right. Bedding was the usual storage in that space, though on one 2 month long trip out west I put a bunch of boxes of my favorite pasta inside as well.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #6
sam

Default Just a thought.

Where you in Ohio? Are you anywhere near J&R repair in Mount Vernon Ohio? Plan B would be to find a handyman/carpenter to do the repair. We were able to purchase the matching tan paneling that is used under the cabinents. First time out we forgot to take the pop a plate off and crunched the under cabinet paneling.
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:24 AM   #7

Ouch! First time out, huh? I bet you were kicking yourselves! That's one thing about the HiLo--lots of little details to remember. Glad you found replacement parts.

As a matter of fact, Mt. Vernon is only about an hour and a half away. A very pleasant drive, especially in spring and autumn. If my local people can't come up with a match I'll give them a call. Just out of curiosity, do they specialize in HiLo repairs? I had heard there was a place down that way that did for awhile after HiLo went out of business, but that was quite a few years ago. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #8

Default J&R repair Mount Vernon OHIO.

Our paneling accident happened with our second HiLo. We never had the pop a plate and napkin holder on our 1st HiLo. The second HiLo came with these installed. You really can't see the crunch unless you are looking for it. I took my label maker and put a reminder note to remove before lowering. The best thing about us is we may make a mistake once. Then we don't generally repeat. We took our second HiLo to J&R to get the seals replaced between the layers. We also had them add winterizing parts on the inside water heater. And a couple of small repairs. They did some extras and gave us some good advice in answer to our questions. Both these quys worked at the original HiLo factory. I live in Niagara Falls,NY. It was worth the drive. My brother lives in Strongsville.OHIO. We stayed at his house and did some handyman repairs and then returned to pick up our HiLo. I would highly recomend the trip as you don't live that far away. Their shop rate is far less than an RV dealer. I would have them do the work as the Bill is not on you. I have since called them and they answered a couple of questions for me. I would see when they can do the work as they get real busy in the spring and summer

Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote