Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 06-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #1

Question 1965 Custom Camper - Cable replacement help needed

Hi everyone!
I have a 1965 hi-lo that probably needs the cable replaced. Everything on this camper is original, including the cables. So far they have held up just fine and don't show rust but.... they are old. I haven't taken this camper out on the road yet as I had to fix a leaky vent/roof situation first.

So now I'm looking at those cables and I have no idea where to start.
Does anyone have a link to a video/pdf showing how to inspect/replace these cables? I know where to get replacements, I just need to know how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

Scatershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome, Scatershot - If it were me, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to replace the cables, until you have inspected them that is. There's no reason why a cable would break unless it shows damage such as rusting or fraying. These problems WILL show up during an inspection.

The likely place where the cable might be damaged is where it is under tension over a pulley. You will see most of the cables with the top up, so raise it. Then, crawl under the trailer and with a good light, inspect each of the cables as far as you can see. You'll be able to see the entire length of eadn cable as it extends across the bottom of the trailer and at least part way up the sides.

Now, inside the trailer, unscrew the trim board on top of the lower half. Start with the curb side, it should be easiest. There will be several screws holding that board in place and they are easy to remove. Once the trim board is off, you will see two of the four upper pulleys and the cable as it loops over the pulleys to attach to the lower edge of the upper half. This is probably the area of greatest strain, so check it carefully and use a flashlight to see as far down the cable as possible. (No rust or fraying? In my opinion, there's no reason to replace them.) This is also how you gain access to lubricate this section of the cables and the upper pulleys, so remember how you did it.

Now, the street side may need two upper trim boards removed (mine does). One has easy access but the other may need for you to use a small, right angle screwdriver to get the board off. Again, though, the inspection is just the same and this is how you lubricate them too.

As far as replacing them, if you have to - a pdf that describes the process can be found in the first post here: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f61/...justment-5875/

Good luck!

- Jack

Old 06-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, Jack, but how must rust is too much? I know fraying is seriously bad, but would any rust be bad, or must it be crusty and flaking?
Scatershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Team

This is just my opinion, but a small amount of surface rust would not worry me. It would be the kind you could sort of "wipe off" if sprayed with WD-40 or the like. However, if it is pitting the cable, then the cable should be replaced.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1965, cables