Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #1

Default 1981 hilo

I'm not sure what happened. The light on the front next to the door stopped working. Also on the inside the decorative lights. The square lights at each end work just fine. Is this fuses I need to change? Thank you.

twistedh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #2

Have you tried new bulbs? Checked voltage at the lights?

KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #3

No...would one bad bulb make all of them listed not work?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #4

No, it's just basic troubleshooting. If a new/known good bulb doesn't work, then there's another problem. If it *does* fix it, then it was a simple, cheap, easy fix. It's possible that that one bulb is out, and the others went out for a completely unrelated reason.

Basics - always gotta start with the basics. Too many times I've gone waaay down the t-shooting path and then realize I didn't check something basic/simple.

Also (as you mentioned) check your fuses. Again, a basic thing. Verify the fuses aren't blown. If they aren't, check to see if you're getting power to the fuses with a voltmeter.
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #5

Where are the fuses located? Will try that and a new bulb when I get home from work. Thank you for your replies.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #6

Twistedhate:

With that username and avatar I'm a bit reluctant to answer! As a proud veteran, I hate to see our flag depicted in such a manner. Regardless, I'll give it a go.

Do you have an Owner's Manual for your 1981 Hi-Lo? If not, go to the home page of this forum and scroll down to the bottom of the page until you see the horizontal red bar that has the word "Library" inside the bar. In that Library section, you'll see a button next to "Hi-Lo Owners Manual". Click on that and you'll find a collection of various postings with links to owners manuals from various years. In fact, I see that the 1981 owners manual is about the third link down. Save it and print it out and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

On bulbs, many of us have gone to LED bulbs. The price has come down considerably and they're so energy efficient which is really important to those who boondock.

Good luck
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

I have the manual to my 84 and it does not say where the fuses are, just that you do have 4 of them. They are located inside the power converter which is far back left under the bench. 4-15 amp fuses.

Hope that helps
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Twisted - your avatar is probably not one that will endear you to the majority of this forum's members (if you care).

- Jack
Old 09-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
I have the manual to my 84 and it does not say where the fuses are, just that you do have 4 of them. They are located inside the power converter which is far back left under the bench. 4-15 amp fuses.

Hope that helps
Thank you for your help. I've downloaded the pdf and there is no mention of where the fuses are located, just a circuit diagram. When I get home from this trip I will look under the benches! Thanks again!