Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 07-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #1

Default 1981 Model and cannot lower the top!

Hello all, I have a problem with my 1981 Hi Lo...I can't get the top to lower! I installed two new batteries...not the problem. The lift motor runs when the toggle switch is flipped up but no squealing....just continues to run. I pulled on the safety release but there is no slack in it and will not activate. I did notice hydraulic fluid has leaked under the trailer....is this the problem? Do I need the hydraulic to be filled before I can lower? Help anyone!

Dshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #2

Default lowering problem

Hi Dshaver; Looks like it might be the Hyd fluid. Where did you see the leak? Was it under the pump area or the hyd ram? If you can get to the pump resevoir, with the top up there should be aprox 1 inch of fluid in the bottom. Do not add above that amount or you will have a big mess when you do get to lower the top. The fluid should be Dextron transmission fluid. The fluid comes as Dextron 3,4,5 etc. Any of the numbers are ok. The squaling you should hear is the fluid bypassing thru the pressure release valve when the top is at the upper limit. After adding the fluid, try raising the top off the safety bar for 3 or 4 sec. If it does not raise check the fluid level again and add more fluid if low. You may have to add fluid several times as you don't know how much fluid you may have lost. If this doesn't work get back with us and let us know where you see the fluid leaking from and we will go from there. Good luck.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #3

Default Thanks!

Thanks Jim! I already figured it out earlier today and did exactly what you suggested. I added 2 quarts of Dextron fluid to the tank and it allowed me to raise the top enough to release the safety latch and lower the top. It's nice to know about the Hi-Lo community and good folks like you to help out for questions. I'm inheriting my parents 2005 Hi-Lo and giving the 81' model to my best friend. Thanks again for the quick reply and God Bless.

Regards,
David Shaver
Old 07-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #4

Default lowering problem

Dshaver; If it took 2 qts then keep an eye out for a leak. When the top is down the fluid level snould be 1" below the fill neck. Let us know if you find a leak. When was the last time you added fluid? Never heard of one taking that much fluid unless there was a big leak.
central VA
Old 07-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshaver View Post
Thanks Jim! I already figured it out earlier today and did exactly what you suggested. I added 2 quarts of Dextron fluid to the tank and it allowed me to raise the top enough to release the safety latch and lower the top. It's nice to know about the Hi-Lo community and good folks like you to help out for questions. I'm inheriting my parents 2005 Hi-Lo and giving the 81' model to my best friend. Thanks again for the quick reply and God Bless.

Regards,
David Shaver
David; Did we by any chance meet you at the HiLo rally in Colorado Springs 2 years ago or Nashville this year.
central VA
Old 07-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

The best friendly forum to get your questions answered. The price is right. Sounds like you are a dedicated HiLo owner with two rigs.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #7

No, never been to a Hi Lo rally...yet!
Old 07-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #8

Yes Jim, there were some leaves under the trailer which hid the big leak. I'll have to point out the leak to my buddy who will be the new owner soon.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
Site Team

Under the pump or under the cylinder? A cylinder rebuild cost me about $200 here in Fl. Hopefully a leaking line. Is there fluid in the plastic line? The plastic lines comes from the piston end of the cylinder. If there is fluid in that line it usually means an internal leak.
If the spill is at the pump end, it could be a seal at the pump/reservoir or a cracked reservoir.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #10

Not sure Treeclimber...I'll have to scope it out. There is a lot of old fluid all over the cylinder. This morning showed no leaks under the trailer yet.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #11

Default lowering problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshaver View Post
Not sure Treeclimber...I'll have to scope it out. There is a lot of old fluid all over the cylinder. This morning showed no leaks under the trailer yet.
David; You need to get under the HiLo and have someone else raise the top while you look for a leak around the ram or on the pressure line. The vent return line will usually have a small amt of fluid in the low spots but if you see any fluid flowing in that line as the top is raised then the seals on the ram piston are bad. I have heard of a crack in the high pressure fitting that screws into the hyd cylinder. Let us know what you see.
central VA
Old 07-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #12

I have a question that is similar to David's problem: I have a 1980 that 2 years ago when I tried to raise it, it wouldn't go because there is a leak in the cylinder. I wanted to remove it and put in a new one and I called the person in Ohio who repairs older Hi-Lo trailers and he told me the cylinder was easy to remove. Upon further inspection, I cannot figure out how to make that happen. Looks like too many welded-in rods, etc. Right now the trailer is in the lower position. Any advice would be appreciated.

jedelen is offline   Reply With Quote