Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Default 22T under-dinette mod

Not sure how common an issue this is with the various trailers, but thought I'd post this change. Maybe I'm not the only one that took so long to realize it could easily be done.
4 pictures are attached (I hope).

Our 22T dinette is positioned over the door-side wheel well, and the cover that Hi-Lo built over the wheel well really intruded on the dinette leg room. The dinette table looks big enough for 4, but was barely usable for 2 people because of legroom restrictions.

I recently realized that the cover doesn't need to be as big as it is. They built it large enough to run a heating duct through it, so it does need to be larger than the wheel well unless you reroute the duct. I decided to leave the duct where it was, but to downsize the cover, still allowing for the duct.

In the pictures, the brown masking tape shows where the original cover was. I lowered the rebuilt cover, moved the vertical side closer to the wheel well, and added a 45 degree piece to fill the gap from the duct allowance to the new vertical piece (hope this makes some sense!).

The difference is just amazing! We could likely seat 4 now in a pinch. Usually there are just the two of us though, with much more log room. I also had room to shift the electrical outlet over, closer to the wall, so any cords are more out of the way.

Gord.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (92.8 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0010.jpg (92.9 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (92.2 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.jpg (94.2 KB, 230 views)

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #2

Default Great Mod!

Wow, what a great mod. We spend a lot of time at the table, surfing the internet or reading. This is on my short to-do list. Thanks for the post.

toutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #3

Well done, Gord.

Might just tackle that one myself.
cptmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Site Team

VERY nice work, Gord. I think in our trailer, that area is forward of the wheel well, so I suspect the rectangular cover we have is just for the heater duct. I'm pretty sure our cover is smaller, but we've not tried sitting 4 people at the table at once. It would be a VERY tight fit.

- Jack