Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #1

Default 2404 LT Bearing size

Wanting to put bearing buddies on my camper. What size do I need?

raguillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't know and I would not do that. As I recall, Dexter Axle recommends against them.

- Jack

Old 09-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #3

Thanks for info. I will just repack and cap it.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguillard View Post
Thanks for info. I will just repack and cap it.
That's what I've done. I looked into bearing buddies too, back when I bought the trailer. They were created for boat trailers that had the axles submerged in water frequently. Our trailers don't see this environment.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
Site Team

In it's past, my 27'er had them installed. I even called Bearing Buddies and they could not tell me how to ensure the inner bearings were properly lubed except to pull them off and inspect. So when I put new brakes on, I just replaced the bearings and hand pack them each season. I'd rather be SURE than hope.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #6

Thanks, that's what I will do.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #7

By the way, what type of wheel bearing grease should I use?
Old 09-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

Rag:

A quick google search on the term "Wheel bearing grease for RV's" yielded this from etrailer.com, a well-respected site:

Question:

I have the 3500 lb 10 drum-brake axles from AL-KO on my RV trailer. 1 What is the max amps for each magnet? My controller reads 10 amps at max output 2.5 amps per wheel. 2 What is the best grease to use? The grease I have tried so far turns to gray pea soup after 3000 miles. I plan to try Lubrimatic L11402 marine grade. 3 What causes the magnets and the inside of drums to wear uneven?? My next brake job will require full replacement. Shoes and drums are wearing even.
asked by: Lynn F

Expert Reply:

Since the brake shoes and drums are wearing evenly, the angled magnet wear is not a problem. They do not have to wear even. As the magnet is charged it swings the arm out and may put an angle in the wear. Even with all brand new parts this can happen. If the surface inside the drum that the magnet attaches to is worn unevenly, the magnet will too.

The grease is degrading for probably one or both of a couple reasons. Certain base compounds for grease are incompatible. Mixing these greases can cause them to react and degrade. If your bearings, hubs, or races need to be replaced, they would be wearing and burning the grease. We use the Lubrimatic LMX Industrial Strength Grease, part # L11390, when we replace hubs and bearings and seals. If it is a boat trailer then we use the Marine Grease. I have included a link to an FAQ article on grease that covers compatibility.

When you do your next brake job and replace everything, check the spindles on the axles. Make sure they are smooth and the edge of your fingernail does not catch on anything. Check for discolored or cracked areas. It may be beneficial to replace spindles, drums, bearings, seals, everything. Start from scratch. Just make sure you clean the old grease thoroughly on any parts you re-use so you do not have an incompatible greases mixing.

To further test your magnets, first make sure the trailer is not connected when performing this test. If the trailer is connected, you run the risk of shorting out a brake controller or various other electrical components. Follow the testing procedures in the FAQ article I have included on testing brake magnets.

expert reply by: Patrick B

I've underlined the most important parts for your question.

Travel safe!
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #9

Thanks so much. I certainly don't want to do anything that will cause a negative effect later.