Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 01-11-2022, 10:29 PM   #1

Default 2510 roof

The roof on my 2510 which I presume is made of aluminum is showing signs of wear so I was wondering what do you do when the roof wears out? Do you replace it? Or is there some kind of covering that will reinforce it? Thanks for your help.

ldmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:29 AM   #2
Site Team

When you say it is "wearing out", what does that mean? Has it developed "pin hole" perforations (that are caused by galvanic interaction with underlying nails or screws)? Or, is the finish on the roof just deteriorating? There's not much else that can go wrong with an aluminum roof.

If the finish is bad, it can be recoated - I'd recommend an elastomeric paint. Holes can be patched with something like EternaBond tape.

- Jack

Old 01-12-2022, 12:41 PM   #3

The pinhole type perforations. Thanks. Good advice.

Dene McGriff
Old 01-12-2022, 10:41 PM   #4
Site Team

I've not had this problem on my roof, Dene, but if I did, I'd try to clean away the corroded area first with something like a Dremel grinding bit. I'd do this to get the aluminum away from the other metal underneath that is causing the galvanic corrosion. Then I'd use either EternaBond tape over the cleared areas or, I'd fill the holes with Lexel caulk (which you can buy at Ace Hardware or online). Lexel is an adhesive caulk that can be painted over. Dont use a silicone caulk!

Thinking about it, I'd probably try the caulk approach. Then, I'd coat the entire roof with a white elastomeric paint (which you can find in Home Depot or Lowes). I think this would make a very permanent, invisible repair.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:38 AM   #5

Jack, Thank you very much. Also very helpful. That would lead to a permanent solution!

Dene
Old 01-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #6

I had the same problem with small perforations & used eterabond like described. Everywhere the eternabond was used after a couple years the aluminum roof turned to powder. The eternabond adhesive had a reaction with the aluminum. If you use it you will have more problems. I had to strip off all the aluminum roof that powdered & used crazy seal. Highly recommend using this instead of eternabond. I liked this product because it coats over aluminum & wood. https://crazyseal.com/crazy-seal/
markpasqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:52 PM   #7

Another option for patching the corroded pinholes is to use a Dremel with a small scotchbrite wheel to take the aluminum down to clean bright metal, then use an aluminum compatible epoxy paste to plug the holes prior to recoating the roof with elastomeric paint.

Related suggestion - while you're on the roof fixing pinholes, check for deterioration in the caulking around openings in the roof (ceiling vents, a/c, standpipes, skylight over the shower, etc) and at the seam where the roof panel and endcaps meet and seal any gaps or cracks with Lexel.

It may be overkill, but I check the roof on our 2307C at least a couple of times a year - much easier to catch deterioration before a leak develops than to fix leak damage......

Tags
leaks, roof