Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default 30 amp power cord conversion

Has anyone with an 80's or 90's hi-lo converted their power cords over to a removeable plug in type cord? my stock cord is only around 15' and it's difficult to put in to the side storage box.

robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robobd View Post
Has anyone with an 80's or 90's hi-lo converted their power cords over to a removeable plug in type cord? my stock cord is only around 15' and it's difficult to put in to the side storage box.
I don't have an answer, but you must have a very small storage box. My 20' cord fits easily in the storage box in my trailer and there's room in there for an additional 50ft 15-Amp extension and a plug adaptor for it.

However, to try to be helpful, I honestly don't see any problem wiring in a socket in the trailer and then installing a plug for it on your cord. Just make sure you get the polarity right on the "hot" and "neutral" wires and that you connect the ground wire properly.

- Jack

Old 12-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

I installed a 30 amp marine plug to my unit a few years back, but mine is a 2001 unit. It is a simple modification. I seem to gain some more room in my cord storage pod by being able to coil it up instead of shoving it back into the little plastic opening.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #4

Thumbs up Nope, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robobd View Post
...it's difficult to put in to the side storage box.
Haven't tried that mod, but I have compromised tendons in both hands at the moment so I'll sure concur with the desire! What's more, around here the cord get's filthy (we're living in our 93 21FLL onsite during house construction).

The best way I've found to stuff the cord in there is to open the storage lid, back the cord and plug through the lid's porthole, and then with the cord free it's simpler using grippy gloves to fold and stack it into the box, figure-8 style. It's not exactly easy though, especially in winter with a stiff cord.

I'm curious how you plan to store a disconnected cord. A reel in the same box? Some other compartment? (Ours are all full.) Custom box?

Jeff
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #5

I replaced my cable with 10/3 SO cord which is much softer and more flexible.
Available at most home centers.
lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

exactly what I am looking for, thanks! something that has a twist-lock and a 5 year warantee! I too was called bobee by my parents somthing I finally outgrew 45 years ago. thanks again
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Default Power Cable Modification

I also did not like the storage procedure for the power cord and I was having difficulty cramming it through that small opening in the bin door. It is especially difficult when the temperature drops to 50 or below. I did the modification suggested by retiredcamper47 and bought [locally] a 30 Amp connector with a twist lock so that I could coil the cord and store it more easily. While I was at it,and since on our trailer there is no 110 outlet on the driver's side, I added a wired jack outlet to the land line side of the cord. This modification provided me an extra outside outlet which is always needed. The outlet may be stored inside out of the weather until needed.

While doing all this, as I was connecting to the 25' extension cord which was needed due to the distance from my RV outlet, I noticed the blades on the receptacle were weathered. They were badly corroded and I will have to replace the receptacle end but for now I just gave them a good cleaning with a small metal brush, rust remover, and WD40 . I believe the corrosion and pitting are a result of sparking due to plugging the RV cord into the 'hot' extension cord. You can see the male ends and clean them when needed but the receptacles take some extra steps and may be overlooked for maintenance.

Jerry Curtis
2406 Towlite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0335.jpg (89.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0336.jpg (88.8 KB, 129 views)

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote