Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #1

Default 5th wheel hi low

I have a 32ft hi lo 5th wheel and have never seen another one on the road did they make many of these? its an 89

crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
I have a 32ft hi lo 5th wheel and have never seen another one on the road did they make many of these? its an 89
Welcome to the forum. Not sure how many were made but there is a member of the forum that has one. They are rare.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

crowbar, you have a jewel in your possession with that Hi-Lo fifth wheel!! No, Hi-Lo did not make many of them. I think, with those few, they put them out there to see if the public would beat a path to their door to buy them. I wonder if Hi-Lo published a brochure on them. The brochure would be great to have with your fifth wheel. J & R or Midget would probably have more history and information on the fifth wheels as those companies are spin offs of the now defunct Hi-Lo Company with friends, old time employees, and family members now working in those companies. Back in 2009 and in 2010, I saw on eBay a couple of them for sale; however, one had been converted into a toy hauler. What a shame! Love it when someone preserves the antiquity of these fifth wheels. If the people at J & R or Midget can assist you in getting an old brochure (if it exists) of the Hi-Lo fifth wheel, how nice it would be if the brochure could be scanned into the library on this forum. Also, when the Board voted to shut down the Hi-Lo Company and sell off its assets, one of the company's founding family members, Don Snyder, took from the company for his personal use during his retirement a Hi-Lo-built motorhome. In 2010 I saw a picture of him standing next to the motorhome. Would have loved to see pictures of the inside. I'm sure there were even fewer of those built by HiLo, probably custom built at customers' requests. I hope when he or his family no longer uses it that they donate the motorhome to a campers' museum so that camping families could see it. You should be so excited to have such a rare camper.

Dee Tillotson
Summerville, SC
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #4

thanks for the input I thought it might be rarer beast. everything works on it but I think storing it in the down position moisture has gotten to the bedroom walls I plan on replacing them with new paneling but I would think its impossible to find matching wallpaper
Old 09-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
sam

Default Finding matching wallpaper.

Check with the two repair places in Ohio before you give up on finding a match.You may need to remove and reset all your windows. Post pictures of your wall damage. Many of us have done extensive wall tear out and repair. That includes me.
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #6

[QUOTE=RCREYES;31865]Welcome to the forum. Not sure how many were made but there is a member of the forum that has one. They are rare.[/QUOT Thanks for the info I will be using the forum as this was my dads 5th wheel and I took it over as they are too old to take trips in it now and I have been trying to keep it up myself and enjoy using it on my trips
Old 09-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

Congrats Crowbar on your unit. Didn't know HiLo made them in the late 80's. However, TowLite made two models in 1993 (center bath & rear bath) and FunLite had three models in 1994. Does your model telescope straight up & down or does it go up "pivots" like a crocodile's mouth?

Dee, the class c motor home by HiLo was in the mid 80's. They had two models, both 23' on a Chevy chassis. Jim & Pat Snyder attended the NY national rally in 2008 with theirs.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #8

There was a $2500 one up here in Montana on Craigslist a few months back. I don't have a pickup or I would have been on it.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #9

Bob, I need to make a correction. The picture I saw in 2010 of the Hi-Lo motorhome and the gentleman standing next to it was Jim Snyder, not Don Snyder, who were brothers. Don died around 1978 of MS and, of course, was the inventor of the first Hi-Lo, then known as the Snyder Camping Trailer. Don brought his brother, Jim, into the newly formed Snyder Trailer Company when there was a great national advertising success on the television show The Price Is Right with Bill Cullen circa 1959. It must have been a great pleasure meeting Jim Snyder at the national rally since he was one of the original directors and owners of the company. Bob, in 2008 how old would you think Jim was?

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Congrats Crowbar on your unit. Didn't know HiLo made them in the late 80's. However, TowLite made two models in 1993 (center bath & rear bath) and FunLite had three models in 1994. Does your model telescope straight up & down or does it go up "pivots" like a crocodile's mouth?

Dee, the class c motor home by HiLo was in the mid 80's. They had two models, both 23' on a Chevy chassis. Jim & Pat Snyder attended the NY national rally in 2008 with theirs.

Bob
hi sorry IWas out of town my 5th wheel pivots like the crocodiles mouth it's great for a tall person but a tall person would not like the beds
Old 09-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Check with the two repair places in Ohio before you give up on finding a match.You may need to remove and reset all your windows. Post pictures of your wall damage. Many of us have done extensive wall tear out and repair. That includes me.
Thanks for the window tips I bet you are correct water gets in by the window and with it in the down position it runs to the front where the damage is. I am not sure how to send you pictures unless you have an email I can send it too
Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
I have the 25ft. 1993 Towlite 5th wheel model (rear bath). It is easy to tow. Since it weighs only about 5000lbs, I converted the 5th wheel hitch on the camper to a gooseneck ball. I have a pickup truck which has the factory-installed gooseneck ball in the midbody of the truck and which flips up when in use and flips back down when not in use.

This way I do not have a 5th wheel hitch on the truck and I have full use of the truck bed. It was an easy conversion which can be undone as well.
j123trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #13

Hello I have a 32 foot fifth well as well and I am looking for a model number on them and a Oweners manual to maybe you can help me on that I hope as I'm finding out its very hard to find any thing on the hi lo fifth wheel trailer I have a pic of mine on my profile
Engineer12343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #14

Greetings Engineer12343 and Crowbar,

Here is the info you were asking for. HiLo made two 32' 5th wheels in 1989. The 3289FL had a front lounge and rear bedroom. The 3289FB had a front bedroom and rear lounge. The FB model also had an optional slide out.

The specs were:

Length: 32' 3"
Width: 92"
Travel Height: 10' 6"
Vehicle Wt (Dry): 7,000#
Axle Wt: 5,300#
GVWR: 10,000#
Additional Allowable Wt: 3,000#

Hope this helps. If you need more info, PM me.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #15

Thank you very much really is going to help me
Engineer12343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:16 PM   #16

crowbar, just signed up. I have a 1994 24 ft fifthwheel I just acquired. Its a time capsule. Has been used a total of five times. I have a few questions about how far up this camper goes before it locks in.

Cobber is offline   Reply With Quote