Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #1

Unhappy 72 Hi-Lo (rusted top cross members)

I recently acquired a 1972 Hi-Lo . Upon further investigation, of the ceiling, I found the roof to contain some leaks. These leaks have led to what I believe to be trapped moisture where the cross member runs directly above the cabinets. The end result is some pretty derogated and rusted through spots on the steel cross members . I DO NOT want to remove the roof to weld in new supports. I have been thinking about devising a bracket to support the cross members and bolting it in to the framing on the top side that is not rusty. I can't be the only person who has tried to avoid having to weld/remove the roof, can I? here are a few pics of the ceiling.

Forum Peeper/Newbie, First time poster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beams1.jpg (7.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg beams2.jpg (7.6 KB, 157 views)

doilieemilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #2

Hi doilieemilie, what did you end up doing? I'm getting some really nasty brown leaks inside my 72 so I'm getting ready to pull down the ceiling and paneling and may end up remodeling the entire trailer, I think it can be reconfigured to better suit my wants/needs.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
sam

Default Leaking roof.

Not an expert. We did a restorn on our 1990 25ft. classic that did not involve any roof repair. Any fiberglass or aluminum can have pin point or other holes in them that you can't see. R&R. if you keep your roofing or sidewall skin then coat it with 3M Bondo. This gives it a hard finish that will seal up any holes. The other thing you need to do is treat all rusty metal with rust oleum primmer and rust oleum paint. Wire brush first. This will prevent the rust from occuring again. I know this is a lot of work and extra expense. All i can tell you is it has been 1&1/2 yrs later and we are high and dry. These are the steps that J&Rwould also do if you sent the trailer into OHIO for repair. Caulk the daylights out of your unit both some interior and lots exterior. Lexell caulk is good to use. You can use this to 40 degrees. Hubby even uses this for a few repairs around our home and church. Keep us posted on your progress.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote