Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 04-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #1

Default AC dripping water inside cabin

Hi All,
I've been working hard on the Hi Lo and discovered some water dripping into the cabin when running the AC during the hot part of the day.

My research has led me to believe the seal in between the AC and Roof may be bad. I pulled the AC apart and cleaned the drain pan and made sure there was free flow and no grime.

Upon putting it all back together again and testing it, the same problem occurred where water was dripping into the cabin. This wasn't coming from the AC but rather the ceiling cut out for the AC.

I'm not sure which direction to go. Should I try replacing the seal or should I bite the bullet and replace the entire AC? Summer is coming and I'm certainly going to need to AC in TX . Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

JoeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
sam

Default Ac water inside of HiLo.

Our did this one summer on our 1990 25ft. Classic. Dh took the inside shroud off and tighten the bolts up that must have loosened up with travel. He used a socket set. Be sure not to over tighten the bolts. If this doesn't work then I would slide the AC unit onto a piece of wood on your roof. Then install a new AC gasket. These are cheap fixes. Last resort replace the AC or if it is a roof problem get the roof fixed. If you slide the Ac unit over on your roof you ought to be able to see the opening/roof problem.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
Site Team

sam just gave you the fix. Did the same thing to one of mine. Remove and disconnect everything inside. Remove the three (some units have four bolts) bolts. They are about 5-6 inches long. When all is done inside, lower the top, remove the A/C, clean everything, install the new seal on the A/C and re-install the A/C. Note: once the weight of the A/C is set, tighten the bolts until you squish (compress) it to about 1/2". Really, you need to measure say from the bottom of the A/C to the inside ceiling, for instance. Install the bolts (centering the unit) and tighten cross pattern until you have compressed that seal to about 1/2". DON"T use any sealant between the seal and the top! finish the install, turn it on to ensure it works. If in the future it leaks, lightly tighten the bolts again.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #4

Red face

Thanks Sam and Treeclimber you gentlemen are most helpful. I have a gasket on order and plan to install it Friday evening. I hoped I wouldn't have to replace the AC. After some cleaning, it is blowing nice and cold.
JoeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
Site Team

Follow any youtube videos/gasket instructions and you'll be fine. Be nice to have two people, A/C is bulky and heavy.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
sam

Default My user name

I use the first letters from every one in the family. I am a female. Our forum members are great with the free spot on advice. Most time someone has done this repair and will share good advice. You Tube is also a great resource on how to fix things in the RV. Let us know if the fix worked.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote