Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 06-30-2021, 07:32 PM   #1

Default Best material to coat HiLo 2404 roof

My 2404LC HiLo aluminum roof has developed pinhole leaks. I have never coated the roof, but I understand there are many different materials to do this. I am interested in opinions of which one is best and easiest to use. I am hoping to get a few more years of use from this fine RV.

txhillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

In my opinion, Kool Seal is the best aluminum roof sealer. I used it on both my HiLo’s. Used a paint brush to apply it around the vents, antenna, roof seams, etc. and a paint roller for the rest of the roof. Gave it two coats each time. Make sure you get it for aluminum roofs as they make it for rubber roofs also.

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:39 PM   #3

Default DH used Kool Seal.

Our roof is also aluminum. Purchased the material at a RV place. Consulted with J&R as we had a soft spot around the vent. Said to use externa bond tape. I am wondering if you should use Externabond tape on your entire roof before you coat it. HiLos are known to use dissimilar metals and that is what causes the holes. Tape off the sides where the roof meets the body. After the second coat remove the tape when the roof is wet. This will give you a sharp looking job.Follow the directions on the Kool Seal can. This repair will be cheaper than a new roof. Best of luck with this repair.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:20 PM   #4
Site Team

I've not had this problem, but I wonder if you could seal (fill up) the pinholes with JB Weld? The gray, high strength stuff has a very long working time and you could spot apply it where you see the holes, pushing it in to fill them. It would not react badly with any part of the trailer and would make a permanent seal. Once cured, you could apply the Kool Seal or another similar elastomeric paint over the whole roof and the repairs would be invisible.

Yes, Eternabond tape would cover and seal the holes too, but it adds some bulk that would probably be visible.

- Jack
Old 07-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I've not had this problem, but I wonder if you could seal (fill up) the pinholes with JB Weld? The gray, high strength stuff has a very long working time and you could spot apply it where you see the holes, pushing it in to fill them. It would not react badly with any part of the trailer and would make a permanent seal. Once cured, you could apply the Kool Seal or another similar elastomeric paint over the whole roof and the repairs would be invisible.

Yes, Eternabond tape would cover and seal the holes too, but it adds some bulk that would probably be visible.

- Jack
I did same as you and used Eternabond tape..Its visiable but only when lowered...I bid on my tape on Ebay got some 1f wide at a fraction of normal cost...Its a little BEARISH to put on..but its been 2y and still WOW
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:09 AM   #6

Default Ask J&R for advice

I would email J&R and see what advice they give you concerning the best way to repair. JB Weld is a good product for repairs. We get ours at Walmart.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #7

I've had a few pinholes. Luckily they seem to concentrate in specific areas. I just use little dots of self leveling Dicor after cleaning with alcohol. For a larger area I would use tape. If it gets to the point where I need to coat the whole roof with something, I'd listen to the advice of those who've actually done it successfully. I've always wanted to try professionally applied spray on truck bed liner. They make it in white...
Old 07-01-2021, 08:26 AM   #8

Default thanks

Thanks for all of the great advise. For now I think I will get up there and really clean the top and cover the holes with self leveling lap sealant as a temporary fix (it is HOT here in Texas). This Fall when it is cooler I will probably coat the entire top with Kool Seal or similar rubber paint.
txhillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #9

Default Silicone

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhillcountry View Post
Thanks for all of the great advise. For now I think I will get up there and really clean the top and cover the holes with self leveling lap sealant as a temporary fix (it is HOT here in Texas). This Fall when it is cooler I will probably coat the entire top with Kool Seal or similar rubber paint.
Just make sure your sealant aint got Silicone ..cause then most things don't stick to silicone...Yea its hot here on coast too but we been showering/rain a bunch and that keep temp down some
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #10

Default Hot all over the USA

Went over to my HiLo to stock pantry items ect. Did a light cleaning on the interior as this is all it needed. Had all the window and vents open. Was hoping to hangout some. Was sweating 79* and humid. Decided to come home to my central AC. Found a few small black ants running around on the inside. Will get some ortho spray to spray the gravel driveway. Need to get the exterior washed.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:02 PM   #11

Check out crazy seal. We’ve been working on our 2002 3110 (31’ hi lo) & had to replace many 1/4” roof plywood planks we’re in process of installing it now. It is the only product that we’ve had to combine wood & metal to seal entire roof.
markpasqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:55 PM   #12

just finished my roof today using GaCO ROOF SILICONE ROOF COATING USED TWO GALLONS AT $57.00 EACH PURCHASED 3/4" NAP ROLLERS TO APPLY IT IS A 50 YEAR PRODUCT YOU CAN PURCHASE FROM PAINT SUPPLY ONLINE TOTAL COST FOR EVERY THING WAS ABOUT
$140.00

blueblood is offline   Reply With Quote