Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 06-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

Default Bunk Bed Build

I'm curious what you all think about my plans to build a bunk in my 17 Towlite

We have the upper cabinets, so a bunk won't store on the ceiling. If I can mount it at a height that allows some little kids feet to fit between the bunk and the bottom of the cabinets I should get to keep the best of both worlds. I thought I would just take it down and store it on the couch during travel.

I was thinking of two approaches for construction.

1) I could mount a bracket inside of the cabinet and hang a cable down through a hole to support the back side, much like the arms on the stock bunks. The front legs would be similar to the stock legs, but I would likely create a cupped foot to keep them centered on the horizontal trim.

2) I don't hang the back side at all. I just build a bunk with four legs, with feet that sit on the horizontal trim.

What do you guys think?

montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #2

I have the original hammock brackets that go above the bed with 2 pieces of 3/4 inch pipe that goes to them. when it isn't used as a hammock it is used to hang your clothes on. I also built a pullout bench on my front seats with 3 legs on it that goes past my front door when you pull it out, and will fit a single mattress when the fridge is moved. built it with 1/2 inch plywood an 2x2;s works great except when you need things under the bench in the night. so I cut my foam in 3 pieces on the bench seat so I can access any storage bin w/o lifting big mattress. I have my mattress hooked up to pulleys on the ceiling to raise and lower it anytime I want in the day or night. I keep it at ceiling level. in the daytime. then move fridge if needed and lower it for guests or whatever. I use the grow lite pulleys you buy on amazon and x shaped them to mattress. you also can make the front one rise with just 2 pulleys in front it will just lift itself towards my front window on one edge. works out great for me. well it will when I use it anyways lol just sayin mike
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk