Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #1

Default Bunk bed storage

Using the bunk bed for storage isn't a new idea. It's my understanding that there have been a few different methods of how to do it, ranging from using it as is, to actually modifying the bunk.

The idea that I'm sharing here is one that I got from Sam Shields. Sam had referred to it in a response to another member.

Now that I have all of my disclaimers in place , here's what I did...

Our Hi-Lo has a double Goucho couch for a bed. I told DW that I wanted to modify the bunk into usable storage to store the bedding for it. She was fine with the idea as long as it didn't keep the bunk from being converted back into a bunk when needed.

With the mattress removed from the bunk, the space between the bottom of the bunk and the roof is enough for the bedding that I wanted to store. The problem is when the bunk is up, the gap between the bunk and the roof is too narrow to get stuff into it.

Lowering the bunk isn't that hard, but it's awkward and then after you add storage items, the bit of added weight makes it all the more awkward to fold / lift back to the ceiling.

The idea that I got from Sam was to add a second bolt / screw to the rear hinges. This prevents them from folding down and only allows them to pivot.

The next step is to add some sort of an extension to the front of the bunk, to support it when you let it down, to access the storage items in it. There's always more then one way to do something, but here's mine.

STEP 1:
Drill a hole in both of the rear hinges. I used a drop cloth underneath to catch all of the metal shavings, also I wore safety glasses for this step.
See picture "Hinge drill.JPG"

STEP 2:
Because DW required that this be easily 'undone' if we wanted to use the bunk as a bed, I used thumb screws and wing nuts to secure the hinges. This way the bolts could easily be removed.
See picture "Hinge with new bolt.JPG"

STEP 3:
To create a simple extension for the front, I bought 4 feet of 1/16" cable and four cable crimps. I cut the cable into 2 two foot pieces. Using the cable crimps, I formed a small loop onto the end of each cable.

STEP 4:
Thread one of the cables though one of the bunk latches on the ceiling. Using the loops in the cable, hook both ends of the cable to the hook on the bunk bed. Use the second cable to repeat this process on the other side of the bunk.
See pictures, "Cable thru latch.JPG" and "Cable on hook.JPG"

That’s it. It took about an hour to do and the materials cost about $10

The end result is that the front of the bunk can be easily lowered to put things into it. Of course this assumes that you have removed the mattress (and stored it in your house for future use). The length of the cables lets the front of the bunk come down about a foot from the ceiling. Then after you put your blankets and sheets, or in our case a 'Travasak', and pillows into it, raise the front up until it clicks back into the latches.

It works very well, at least for us. Thanks again to Sam Shields for sharing the idea with us!

Neal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hinge drill.jpg (92.6 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Hinge with new bolt.jpg (92.8 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Cable thru latch.jpg (90.9 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Cable on hook.jpg (95.0 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Bunk down.jpg (88.0 KB, 228 views)

Old 03-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #2

Default Bunk bed storage

You have got it. The best way to lower the front is to remove the latch pens from the roof, install a wood block, I used a finished 2x4 screwed to the roof. If you are careful you can use the same screw wholes in the roof to hang it in place then reinstall the latch pens to the block this will lower the front of the bed 4". It is enough to install beding, folding chairs and a folding table, all I won't to have when I go camping. And the best results of this is If you release the latch the suport wires will lower and hold the bed in the perfict angle to load and remove stored items and is still easy to latch back to roof. This modification can be reversed very easly.

By the way I stored the matress I removed from the bunk in the house under the bed at home. I did put the matress in side a zipper cover to keep it from getting dirty.

Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
rcr

Very nice mod. Thanks.
rcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:49 PM   #4

Hi guys, did this mod the other day and decided to share. Lowering the bed allows to store all kinds of stuff (pillows,blankets,sheets,towels,etc) I highly recommend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0320162143.jpg (102.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 0320162143a.jpg (80.6 KB, 31 views)
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Perfect! and reversible. You'll really get to rely on that storage.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #6

Here's one more pic of the bed up in storage mode. The chain link works perfectly tightening when the camper is up and relaxing the chain when the camper is compressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0322161403.jpg (112.5 KB, 27 views)
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #7

love the idea

tsbomb is offline   Reply With Quote