Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

Default Cannot remove screws in window...

I'm trying to remove my first window in my camper. I've only successfully removing a few of the screws and so far have broke 2 of them off. I have many many more to go and was wondering if anyone has any pointers. I've sprayed all of them multiple times throughout the day yesterday with rust penatrant to no avail. I've tried several different size screw driver and no doubt am using the perfect size. I've even resorted to vise grips and only break the head off the screw. Should I just break them all off and try to remove the remaining portion once I can get it on my workbench? At least that way the rust penatrant will be able to get down in there a lot better. I'm just worried having to drill them out and possibly retaping the holes. As long as there is enough "meat" in the area that the threads are to allow me to do this I'm not to worried. Any thoughts?

motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

you could try a impact screwdriver, you hit with a hammer and it can turn a quarter turn, it is almost like an impact wrench

ltblueblzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltblueblzr View Post
you could try a impact screwdriver, you hit with a hammer and it can turn a quarter turn, it is almost like an impact wrench
I'll actually try that on my next window. I'll also have to find my hammer drill and try it. I ended up having to use a cut-off tool. Almost have them all out. Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj...p=docslist_api
Old 03-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Site Team

motor, If you haven't already tried, try tightening first. Several of mine snapped while removing. I took the window out, laid it on a work bench and used mini vise grips and from the inside, screwed them out. Remember to replace with stainless screws (all of them). Whenever I remove anything screwed together, I try and replace with stainless. When replacing the windows use butyl tape and take your time. Wait two days to clean off excess squeeze out, then Lexel caulk the perimeter.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #5
sam

Default Removing windows

FYI..You tube has a video on how to remove and reset your windows. It is well worth the effort to do this.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #6

Motor
I ran into the same problem last year when I removed the kitchen window. Screws were rusted and kept shearing off. In actuality , the only thing holding the window to the frame is the screw head. So- if those are sheared off you can actually remove the circular piece holding the window to the wall and then pry the window out. Once the window is out you can access the remaining shaft of the screw from the backside and I think I used a vice grip to do it. Actually, it was one of the forum members from Florida who told me about this---maybe treeclimber, I cant remember. At any rate- I fretted about it the same as you but if you cant get the whole screw out then just cut off the head with a dremel cutting wheel or some similar tool- like that horizontal oscilating tool I mentioned before. One the window is out you can extract whats left of the screw.

post script- just read treeclimbers post my memory is pretty good. However, I tried replacing with stainless and had issues with them stripping. My local rv guys said he was not surprised and says he uses zinc

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #7

Got the window out grinding the heads off like in my video. Finished removing them using vise grips. Repainted inner frame and good to go. Did'nt thing about the oscillating saw. Man, that would of been easier. I burned mine up a few months ago. I'm going to have to replace it before doing the other windows. I knew I would miss that saw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160307_170630.jpg (120.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20160307_170614.jpg (189.8 KB, 12 views)