Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #1

Default Dismantling my 71 Rolite this weekend for restoration

https://imgur.com/a/1qyd9iX

https://imgur.com/a/bZt2zye

There's certainly rot in the corners and the whole floor likely has to come out. But overall this thing is amazingly intact! All the pieces are there and they're all original. We don't think the cushion covers can be salvaged but my wife's going to see what she can do there. Worst-case we order new cushions.

The fact that the walls come out by just pulling the pins on some hinges is nice. We can spend the remaining warm weeks doing the floor, front wall and rear corners and then over the winter fix up all the components.

We want to replace the dark interior wood paneling with light colored birch paneling and it looks like that's very doable. The windows and trim all comes apart with just turning screws and pulling nails.

The icebox, sink and stove are all intact and salvageable, too. We've already cleaned up the icebox and it looks pretty good. I want to give this thing a try camping in it as intended with all original stuff. If we get frustrated with the ice box over time we can always replace it with a small camper fridge easily enough.

The water tank needs replaced. Looks like it's only 5-7 gallons. I'm going to make sure the pump-action sink works rather than use an electric pump because otherwise 5-7 gallons can get used up way too fast. Pump-action may likely be self-limiting.

Looking forward to spring when hopefully this thing will be ready. I want it fully functional for collapsing and popping up. These are really rare and so far the info I see of people still using them they fix them permanently up rather than making them pop up and collapse. It would also help with towing, of course, but just the cool factor is what I'm excited about.

trevize1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
sam

Default Rv repair/renovation.

Best of luck with your repairs. Should keep you busy over the winter. Keep the pictures coming.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Best of luck with your repairs. Should keep you busy over the winter. Keep the pictures coming.
Thanks!

I've got all the cabinets out now. After looking everything over with my dad I finally agreed with him that I need to just bite the bullet and do this thing properly. That means rebuilding the floor completely not just the patchwork I was hoping I could get away with.

While I'm at it I'll have the frame sandblasted and painted, too. I'll start with dismantling the roof as that's obviously been leaking. I need to do all of this anyway to replace the dark wood paneling on the upper and lower portions so why not, right?

I'm looking forward to camping in this when it's all done. It's going to feel like a brand new camper fresh off the factory floor ... in 1971! Pump-action sink, ice box fridge and everything. If we decide we really need a powered fridge or electric water pump we can easily upgrade all that, especially after getting to know the trailer intimately with the rebuild.
trevize1138 is offline   Reply With Quote