Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 04-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #1

Default EPDM rubber roof replacement

I have a Towlite 2004T & have notice some puckering on the roof in the corner. I also have some delamination on the side wall just below the roof SO! I considered it time to repair & replace.

I've studied many of the YT videos & think I can do it but I'm a little concerned about removing the end caps, UV has made the corners brittle & there's cracks around the securing screws. Are they simple to pull off?

Any pointers regarding the end caps or the job in general would be much appreciated.

Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
sam

Default Roof repair

We haven't had to replace our rubber roof. Just had to patch it and seal the roof. Check out rv education 101. He restored an old RV and did a segment on putting on a rubber roof. You can do these repairs!!

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #3

Thanks Sam. I saw your post on roof edge repair, this is where my damage is too. This appears to be the Achilles Heel of a rubber roof. I was considering overlapping the edge with some kind of metal tape prior to fitting a new roof. I'll check out RV Education.

Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

You could always go with these guys. Last time I checked a couple of years ago, it was $3600.00 for up to 30'.

Welcome to RV Armor - Home
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #5

Eeek, Ruben! ~ That's all I have to say about that
Old 04-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Eeek, Ruben! ~ That's all I have to say about that
On the plus side, they do offer a lifetime warranty, parts and labor....
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
You could always go with these guys. Last time I checked a couple of years ago, it was $3600.00 for up to 30'.

Welcome to RV Armor - Home
Yikes! That's almost what it cost to have our 2500 sq foot house roof recoated before we sold it.

- Jack
Old 04-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #8
sam

Default Rubber Roof replacement/Repair.

Could you post a picture of the wrinkled area. Just wondering if you could stretch it and use a Rubber roof patch. We have to patch our on the edge this year. Original roof. This is whay we used : Quick Roof for rubber roofs cofair products inc. 7301 N.St. Louis AVE.Skokie,IL 60076 800-333-6700 Building materials roofing supplies mobile home repair and deck supplies Cofair Products Inc. I recently called them to see what degree temp. the patch could be applied. The person answering the phone had to go and ask someone. They said 40degrees. The patch came off when we took the HiLo out for inspection. DH used another tape until we have a blazing hot day for patching.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

I posted a picture here Sam, half way down the page:
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...html#post32493
The water didn't get in where I marked the 'oops', the ingress was from the first end cap screw, it had insufficient sealant around it. But, you've got me wondering if I could get away with a cheaper repair. If I could take off the front end cap & gutters, I might be able to peel back the roof corner & deal with the wood damage. I could also repair the delamination. I could then do as you did (run tape along the edges) before resealing the roof down.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
sam

Default Rubber roof repair

I showed DH the picture of your roof. He says your roof needs to be replaced. Just doing a small repair won't work. Water/condensation has gotten under and affected the underlay. Rip it apart and see the exact damage. Possibly you could get a roofer to lay down the rubber. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The good new is it is fixable and you will get many more years to use your HiLo.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

Thanks Sam. Here's my shopping list with the best prices I could find (unless someone knows better) . By the way, who is DH?

For the delamination (I have some resin) http://amzn.to/1MXCqQc
Dicor EPDM membrane http://ebay.to/1T333Q2
Dicor lap sealant http://amzn.to/26snb8r
Butyl tape x2 http://amzn.to/26snsZ1
Adhesive http://amzn.to/1SNC0OI
Screws http://amzn.to/21eFiuB
I'll be fitting these while I'm at it http://amzn.to/1Tck2j8

Total cost $580 plus a massive amount of elbow grease.
I promise to post pics/video once I get going.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
sam

Default Replacing rubber roof.

DH is dear husband of 32yrs. I'm sure down the road our original 1990 Rubber roof will give out and we will be replacing. Would love to see pictures/videos of the process.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 AM   #13

Congratulations on the DH. Forgive my ignorance, I'm a Brit.

Despite the advice from the right honourable DH , I'm going to attempt the cheaper option first. I see no reason not to as it represents the starting procedure for a complete replacement anyway.

Take off front end cap & right side guttering. Peel back membrane. Repair delamination/substrate damage & go from there.

Pics/video to follow ...
Old 04-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #14
sam

Default Rubber roof replacement.

I agree with your logical steps to this roof repair. You just might get lucky and get away with a smaller repair. "What you see is what you get". Put on some favorite music Mp3 player and headphones. This makes the tough job a little nicer.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #15

These end caps were designed as PERMANENT! Someone please tell me that they've taken one off & HOW!
Old 05-07-2016, 12:42 AM   #16

Since I stripped off all the old butyl from the roof/side of this Hi-Lo I've discovered several splits in the rubber roof on the right (from front) edge, caused in some part to the acute 90 degree sharpness beneath the EPDM membrane. I'm dumbfounded as to why it wasn't beveled & it's my intention as part of my repair project, to do exactly that, unless advised otherwise.

I'm speaking particularly to Sam whose DH is tackling the very same issue (I think).

If all Hi-Los have this sharp edge, I think this deserves a thread in it's own right. There are Hi-Lo owners out there (like me) who are unaware of this vulnerability.

Tags
end caps, epdm, roof repair