Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 05-05-2020, 12:19 AM   #1
sam

Default Help needed for shower revamp.

Due to covid 19 most of the campgrounds are having the bathrooms/showers facilities closed. I don't percieve the walls in the shower area able to hold up to showers without rotting out. Ages ago I saw in the picture albums where a member added some type of fiberglass paneling to the BR walls. Tried to find this without any luck. Going out for the weekend is fine just washing up. However going out for the week is another story. Our BR walls rotted out in our other HiLo. We have a blue boy tank on wheels so we can dump as needed. Any help is appreciated.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #2
Site Team

sam, that paneling can be found at the big box store. It's called FRP, fiberglass re-enforced paneling. Only comes in white that I know of. Very commonly used in commercial kitchens cause it's so easy to clean. I have helped install it on an entire Hi Lo ceiling. Bends easy and is held in place with construction adhesive and button headed screws. Seams are sealed with white caulk. I've also used in on walls in rental properties.
Comes in 4' X 8' sheets.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Interesting - my trailer has a "wraparound shower curtain" in the bathroom. So, no water on the walls at all.

- Jack
Old 05-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Mine also Jack, but FRP would eliminate water damage from the inside. Hope your doing well.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-05-2020, 11:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Thanks, Tree. Yes, we are all fine. Helps, I think, to be living in a town where the population is about 1800! *grin*
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:30 PM   #6
sam

Default Shower walls

Thanks for the replies. We have only showered a few times in our former HiLo.In our current HiLo J&R told us this paneling is no longer available. Don't want to take a chance on wrecking it. If my memory serves me correctly the shower curtain tends to cling to your body. Would an extend a shower curtain rod work to solve this problem?
Old 05-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Team

Sam - that kind of rod would not work at all in our little 17ft HiLo. The surround curtain hangs from a ceiling track. There's no place or way to install an "extend" type curtain, due to two sides of the room being fabric.

- Jack
Old 05-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #8

Default Shower Curtin

This is without seeing area of trailer you are talking about, yes I know it is a shower.

Perhaps you could make a "L" shaped support piece to attach to the ceiling and come down and support the extended shower rod. Are you talking about a cured shower rod?
ROUGH RIDER 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:54 PM   #9

Any thought to using a hula-hoop?
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #10
Site Team

Way to go Dee! two curtains and a couple brackets. That'll do it.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Great idea, Dee. That would work nicely.

It would be a bit "snug" inside the space afforded by a hula hoop. A more expensive solution might be tubing, such as copper tubing that could be bent into a circle or rounded rectangle of the desired area. This could also be secured to the roof with some brackets. The curtain would be suspended from the tubing using rings.

Edit: Possibly, sections of straight and curved PEX tubing would work too?

- Jack
Old 05-12-2020, 07:43 PM   #12
sam

Default Thanks for all the replies.

I looked up the extend a rod. It won't work as one part of the wall is curtain. You wouldn't be able to extend the curtain past the bath tub. I am hoping the state parks will open up and the shower house will be available. I saw a Rv with a tub surround put over the paneling. Dh has a large project for this summer. Our neighbors tree was hanging over our property by 2ft. This shaded the garden at times. Someone made the law that it now becomes our problem. $400.50 later we have some expensive firewood!! Next we have a small city lot and DH has to rent a sod cutter to move the garden in the middle of our yard. We were able to replace our ratty (lead paint) chain link fence. It has pretty pickets on top that let in sunlight. I seriously don't DH will be doing any shower mods this year. Everyone wear your mask.wash your hands and social distance.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:30 PM   #13

If you have the outside shower-obtain a refrigerator box and shower outside till the campground bathrooms open up!
Elaine and Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:54 PM   #14
sam

Default Thanks for the reply.

We don't have an outside shower. DH was thinking about a solar shower. I can just see DH getting arrested for indecent exposure. Good idea to make something waterproof/enclosure. I have seen a tent shower.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #15

Pick a treed campsite and shower at night! Enjoy!!

Elaine and Bill is offline   Reply With Quote