Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #1

Default Hose Bumper - End Cap Ideas?

Looking for ideas on how to keep the end cap from falling out by the hose bumper storage. Don't want to drill a hole in the bumper to use a metal wire to hold it in place, if there are other ideas out there. Seems to me a hole will only encourage rust and there is enough moisture in the bumper due to the waste hose anyway. Suggestions?

Oldyweds
Wisconsin
2007 19T
Ford F-150

Oldyweds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi! I use the rubber ones, that release when you pull out on the hole in the center of them. They are similar to these: http://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-30000-.../dp/B001P2JONQ

In addition, I went to Home Depot and bought a set of two super magnets. I think these are what they are: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...5H-_-203613128

After I put the hoses into the bumper, I simply place one of these magnets at each end, far enough in so that the cap can be inserted. They are large enough to block the opening and they don't move due to their strong magnetic power. They keep the hoses from pushing the caps off.

I've not had a single problem after adopting this method.

- Jack

Old 05-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyweds View Post
Looking for ideas on how to keep the end cap from falling out by the hose bumper storage. Don't want to drill a hole in the bumper to use a metal wire to hold it in place, if there are other ideas out there. Seems to me a hole will only encourage rust and there is enough moisture in the bumper due to the waste hose anyway. Suggestions?

Oldyweds
Wisconsin
2007 19T
Ford F-150
I use these and haven't had any issues with them.

Bumper Hatch, Set of 2 - Design For Fun 900 - Sewer Accessories - Camping World
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #4

Thanks Jack and Ruben. We will try both the magnets and the 2 bumper hatches!!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #5
Site Team

You're most welcome. The magnets secure the hoses perfectly - they make the opening too small for the hose to creep out. The end caps are just window dressing.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
Site Team

Good Ideas from both of you! I went with Ruben's, just cause they are prettier. $13 on amazon. I put the screws in the corners to allow easier hose removal and storage. Ran a bead of clear caulk around the top and sides and as I put the screws in. Perfect snap shut door.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Good Ideas from both of you! I went with Ruben's, just cause they are prettier. $13 on amazon. I put the screws in the corners to allow easier hose removal and storage. Ran a bead of clear caulk around the top and sides and as I put the screws in. Perfect snap shut door.
Tree
Tree, I tried ones like those, but a door came open (probably due to a rough road) and I lost a hose.

- Jack
Old 05-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #8
Site Team

I did notice that if installed just a tiny bit too far in, the cap would pop open. With that in mind, I installed them correctly, put the screws in opposite corners and clear caulked it. Road test next Monday, Sebastian Inlet SP for a week of off shore fishing!
Treeclimber
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #9

These are fantastic ideas! Thanks again for all your help. Hubby is using the magnets on both ends right now, and so far both end caps are staying on!

Oldyweds
Wisconsin
19' Towlite
2002 Ford F-150
Old 05-17-2016, 12:29 AM   #10
Site Team

Even if a cap comes open, the magnets will retain the hoses. I consider it a simple insurance measure.

- Jack
Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #11
Site Team

I'm using rare earth magnets. So strong, you need a string to free them! Always loved magnets and their uses.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
I'm using rare earth magnets. So strong, you need a string to free them! Always loved magnets and their uses.
I used to own a 94 chev astro van. It had this cable under the dash you pulled to open the little door for you gas tank. Well one winter the cable snapped, causing the little door to stay open and flap around while driving. The garage wanted 200 something to replace the cable. And that was around the year 2000. A friend suggested I just put an earth magnet inside the little door. It worked better than the cable as it never broke in the 5 more years I owned that van.

1985 Funmaker 19R
2004 Chevy Avalanche. Z66
My name is Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Even if a cap comes open, the magnets will retain the hoses. I consider it a simple insurance measure.

- Jack
I guess putting a another hole in the rubber end cap and running a wire through the two holes then coil the wire against the trailer then put an earth magnet on top of it all.

Better yet get a stopper Similar to a sink plug. Put it inside the rubber end cap, attach a wire To the stopper and just tie it to the bumper. Or instead of tieing I'd imagine you can get a clamp similar to the one on the end of your hose (think the proper name is band clamp or jubilee clamp) and fasten it to the bumper or maybe just a plain cable strap would work.

Keep in mind if using earth magnets, they rust quite easily so try and get a coated one or paint it.

1985 Funmaker 19R
2004 Chevy Avalanche. Z66
My name is Pat is offline   Reply With Quote