Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 01-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #1

Default hydraulic guide rod question

A few months ago I purchased a 1993 Funlite in fairly decent condition. I knew when I bought it that I would need to go through the normal maintenance routines as the previous owner 'wasn't a diy guy.' So yesterday I scooted under the trailer to clean and lube the hydraulic guide rod. It was really gunky (see previous sentence), but using a plastic scrubbie, crocus cloth and penetrating oil, I got it pretty clean. However, it is NOT shiny and probably never will be again. The section beyond the area that the block runs up and down is shiny, but the area where the block runs is dark and has some discoloration from old rust. It IS smooth, however. My question is, do I just lube it up and call things good? Is there anything more I can do to improve the condition of the rod? Am I looking at having to replace it sometime soon? Am I nitpicking just a little too much or is this a problem?

(and cable lubing is slated for the next stretch of decent weather)

Bernadette

bdette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Bernadette -

I think if the guide rod is clean and SMOOTH, as you described, you're OK. Make sure you apply a good coat of grease to it to inhibit any further rusting. Since it serves to "guide" the mechanism, there should be no seal on it to catch on any slight irregularity, and even if there were "pits" on the rod, there would be nothing to leak past the imperfect surface.

I believe the problems occur when rust is allowed to build up to the point where binding occurs, and the rod gets bent. I may be wrong on this and if so, someone will correct me. But, I think as long as the rod is straight, smooth and "slick" with grease, it should cause no problems.

If you're not located in a high humidity area, you'll probably find the rod needs minimal maintenance.

- Jack

Old 01-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

Hi Bernadette; After cleaning the grit and grime off with a rag and gas or paint thinner I use 400 or 600 emery cloth to remove the rust, then grease the rod. As Jack said as long as it is clean, smooth and greased you are ok. The grease on the rod picks up road grime so you should clean it depending on the type roads you drive on and the miles you put on it. One of the problems with the rod and guide block is on some HiLos the hole in the guide block was drilled a little too small and the block would scrape the grime off of the rod and it would build up right where the rod slid into the block. It would jam the block on the rod and would bend the rod when you tried to raise the top due to the pressure of the hydraulic system. Keeping the rod clean and lubed will prevent this and you should never have to replace it. Wipe the grime off the cables and lub with a product like WD40. With a little effort you can get to all of the cables to lub them. In areas of the cables that you can't get to, to wipe down you can still reach those areas with spray lub.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #4

WD-40 is really a solvent, not a good lubricate. Use a 10 weight oil as it will work much better.
ROUGH RIDER 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #5

Hi-Lo used white lithium grease on the guide rod.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #6

I was referring to his last part about the cables, not the guide rod. Yes the guide rod should be lubed with grease as oil would not last long.
ROUGH RIDER 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #7

Default Video Manual

Refer to Video #34 on the video manual for care of the guide rod.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #8

I am good, got the guide rod greased with lithium and everything moves pretty darned nice. A LOT quieter too.

bdette is offline   Reply With Quote