Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Angry Inverter problem

Hi everyone
I have a 1990 fun lite
I hope someone can help my generator went bad and fried my inverter
everything works on 110 but no 12 volt can anyone give me help how to fix or where to get the parts
Thanks theddaug

theddaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
sam

Default inverter problem

DH is sleeping so I will get back to you tomorrow.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theddaug View Post
Hi everyone
I have a 1990 fun lite
everything works on 110 but no 12 volt can anyone give me help how to fix or where to get the parts
Thanks theddaug
Welcome to the Forum!

One thing you may want to check is the main fuses on the "converter" that may have burned out. They should be found on the converter itself. You may have to unmount it to get to it.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Hi everyone
I have a 1990 fun lite
Thanks theddaug
How do you know the Converter (should be and not inverter) is fried? Did all your 12v go away suddenly or did the lights gradually get dimmer and then finally go dead. If it was a gradual dying then it is likely the Converter. The Converter charges the 12v battery and you are actually getting power from the battery itself to run 12v. Therefore once the battery completely died from not getting a charge from the Converter, you lost power. If it was a sudden lose in power it would likely be a Circuit breaker in the battery box or even the fuses in the 12v fuses in the 12v. fuse block. To test your CB's do a continuity test from each post on the breaker to make sure your still getting power from one side to the other. As for the Converter, test it to see if it has any output. Do a basic test using a DC tester (the kind that just has the light inside it) just to see if it is producing some kind of power. If it is, then check how much it is putting out with a multimeter. Mine produces about 13.6 volts.

PS. don't forget about your 12v. power switch too. They can go bad or get fried too. Unlikely but you don't wont to skip over anything.

One easy way to do the process of elimination and cut your solution in half is to hook a booster box or a use jumper cables from your vehicle and hook them to your camper battery. If you get 12v power then, then the problem would be from the battery back toward your Converter (CB's, and then the Converter (in order)) and not the other way. If you don't get power then the problem (or least some of the problem) would be from the battery to the 12v fuse block (12v toggle switch, then the fuses (in order))
motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #5

I did not have a battery in it the inverter started smoking the lights went out the just a very dim lite in one lite
Old 03-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

Default Inverter problem

Hi Motorpig
When it went out all the lights went out at once. the inverter had been smoking
I did not have a battery hooked up. After this happened the one light had a very dim light almost could not see it. It did smoke pretty bad.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi Motorpig
When it went out all the lights went out at once. the inverter had been smoking
I did not have a battery hooked up. After this happened the one light had a very dim light almost could not see it. It did smoke pretty bad.
Its obviously the converter (inverter). The converter converts ac to dc which gives your 12v. power to your interior lights. Sounds like you'll have to buy a new one. Test the output as mentioned prior. If it was smoking I highly doubt its a internal fuse. But do the tests first.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Site Team

I have to agree with mototpig. The 12V battery charger function of your converter is not a separate item that can be replaced by itself as far as I know.

I did a bit of research on converters a couple years ago and, as I recall, they were not particularly expensive. You would want to get a 30 Amp model.

It's also possible you damaged it by bypassing the battery to allow the battery charger to deliver 12V directly to the trailer. It may use the battery as a buffer to control the charging current, much like the battery does for the alternator in your car.

- Jack
Old 03-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post

It's also possible you damaged it by bypassing the battery to allow the battery charger to deliver 12V directly to the trailer. It may use the battery as a buffer to control the charging current, much like the battery does for the alternator in your car.

- Jack
I was kinda thinking the same thing.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpig2342 View Post
I was kinda thinking the same thing.
Great minds? Maybe just "The blind leading the blind"!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Great minds? Maybe just "The blind leading the blind"!

- Jack
LOL. Its pretty amazing what you can learn in these forums and when you start redoing one of these campers. I know the wiring in mine like the back of my hand due to me having to rewire so much of it from scratch. Was only a few weeks ago yall where telling me all this stuff. Great peace of mind knowing I could trouble shoot and track down any problem I think my camper could throw at me know (knock on wood). Love this site! Great bunch of folks with a lot of knowledge.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
sam

Default Replacing the converter.

DH just replaced our 1990 HiLo with a new battery. Got a new converter from www.Best converter.com We called with our model # of the old one and they advised on a new one. It cost 213.20 with shipping. We also have a new radio in the RV. No electric on site. Probably won't get to camp until June. Dh is recuperating from cataract and cornea surgery. 1st. checkup was today and all is well. Dh gave me more details. 45AMP with external fuse block. It is a four stage charger. Some of the other models might have the fuse block incorporated into the converter? Took about 3hrs. to install. Would recomend at least 8gauge wire.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
sam

Default Converter info.

www.Best Converter.com 888-828-1893 Local in Ca 208-466-0202 Email:Sales @ Best Converter.com
Old 03-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #14

Default inverter problem

Ok guys I thought the same. Are these hard to replace do they plug in or hard wired in
Old 03-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #15
Site Team

I haven't done it, but I imagine it would not be difficult.

If I were doing it, I'd first remove the non-working one from the trailer, making notes/taking pictures of all the connections. I'd also measure the converter's dimensions, and the space available where it was mounted.

Once I had all that information, I'd look for a converter that was similar. Most places you buy from list the dimensions and they generally have pictures of the connection points. If they don't, look elsewhere. These things might also come with an owner's manual that you can download before ordering. The manual should give you the information you need.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #16

Default inverter problem

Great I will do it.
Thanks and will let you know how it goes
Old 03-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #17
sam

Default Replacing converter

We just had our old model # and we called Best converter and the teck told us one to get. It fits under my couch bed. Yes it has to be hard wired in. UTube showed someone installing one. You will need to purchase 8gague wire for the install. We got our at Autozone. Should have hit up our electrical supply place. The paper work they gave us was very poor with no install instructions. I think the co. may not want the liability. DH has formal training in electrical/electronics.