Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 07-31-2015, 07:01 AM   #1

Default Kayak Racks

I am probably going to get shot for adding racks to the roof. This was the only option we could come up with for transporting our kayaks with us.

Found a telescoping ladder to take with us so I could get on the roof to load/unload them.

I got some butyl tape to go under the feet of the racks to help prevent leaks and will put some caulk around the entire foot pad also.

The only other concern we had/have is whether or not we should put bolts in thru the entire roof system or just screws. Don't want everything flying off while we are going down the road.

Still might strap them down all the way around the body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150725_141158.jpg (285.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20150725_141229.jpg (253.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20150725_141257.jpg (187.3 KB, 39 views)

Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

Well my preference would still be to build a stake pocket rack for the truck- which I have don twice. That said, bolts wil hod better than screws. I would advise against running straps around the whole thing as it would have too many " bends" in the tie down making it more difficult to tension while creating more surface area against the wind which will encourage it to loosen.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

........or, I would prefer to use foam carriers and attach tie down points to where the roof and sides meet- where anchors would cause less potential leaks and I would tie off there.

Seattle Sports Universal Kayak Foam Block Kit - Special Buy - REI.com

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

Aerodynamically speaking, having them on the camper is better as it is lower then the roof of a pickup or SUV. I think they will be fine, although if you have cabinets inside full, an awning, and a roof A/C unit you might be stressing all the lifting components.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinn View Post
I am probably going to get shot for adding racks to the roof. This was the only option we could come up with for transporting our kayaks with us.

Found a telescoping ladder to take with us so I could get on the roof to load/unload them.

I got some butyl tape to go under the feet of the racks to help prevent leaks and will put some caulk around the entire foot pad also.

The only other concern we had/have is whether or not we should put bolts in thru the entire roof system or just screws. Don't want everything flying off while we are going down the road.

Still might strap them down all the way around the body.
One more screw hole in the roof provides one more opportunity for a leak in the roof!
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

After installing bolts this past weekend. I found out that I am not a fan of the telescoping ladder raised that high. It wobbles a lot. Supposedly holds 225# and I don't weigh that much. The UFO will not be raised while the kayaks are on it.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #7

Pinn, you have probably thought of this because it is so obvious, but I see that you have an F-150. I'm curious as to why you would not put a kayak rack on your pickup, just asking! My son lives not too far from you in Wilson, and he has a rack setup for his paddle boards on his F-150 for hauling to Lake Jordan.

Dee
Summerville, SC
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #8

Dee Tillotson- Thank you for asking.. The biggest reason is that DH has a 12' kayak and we have 6' beds on our trucks. His kayak hangs over the end to the point of touching the front of UFO when hitched up. Also I tried almost every trick in the book to get him to even think of the possibility of getting racks for the trucks.. He stubbornly refused to even consider it.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #9

Pinn, I carry a 15' canoe on my truck (6.5' bed). I have a camper shell over the bed with tracks mounted on it. I have Yakima racks with one bar near the back of the camper shell and the other bar over the front doors. The end of the canoe doesn't extend further than the open back hatch window of the camper shell. I think it looks great .... but then I have a handmade wooden canoe.
camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #10
sam

Default Kayak rack

Could you post a picture of your setup?

sam is offline   Reply With Quote