Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 10-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #1

Default Leaky windows needs sealing suggestions

Hi, I noticed my (new to me) Hi-lo 2207T has 3 windows that leak.
1. Front window (minor damage I just need to replace luan shelf)
2. window over kitchen sink (no damages as far as i can tell)
3. Window in front door side (support rim wood rotted bad bowing panel at cable attachment point looks like that repair will be very involved )

Before i address the water damage I want to stop the leaks. I'm not sure because i have not done any work on campers before but i suspect it would be best to remove the windows, clean, caulk and reinstall the windows.

A. What caulk should i use?
B. Should i do all 6 windows while I'm at it, or just the 3 that leak?

Thanks for any help you can give

Roland J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
Site Team

If 3 are leaking, then you should reseal all of them. You DO remove the windows, clean out all the old stuff and then reseal them with Butyl tape, which fills all irregular gaps and never hardens. Once the windows are back in I'd use Lexel caulk (available at Ace Hardware or online} to seal the outside around the frames. Lexel is a VERY sticky and durable caulk and I (and many others here) think it is better than silicone or other choices for a trailer.

- Jack

Old 10-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #3

Thanks Jack.
Roland J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
Site Team

And, a further note on Butyl tape - I think you should be "generous" with it. You want it to completely fill all voids. If this means doubling up in places, do it! It will just squeeze out if there's too much and you can easily clean that off.

Note: I say all this having never done the windows. But, I did apply it around a Fantastic Fan assembly in the roof that I installed to replace the Mattel Toy OEM fan. That installation has never leaked and has held up perfectly.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:31 PM   #5
sam

Default Advice on removing and reinstalling windows.

I have had two HiLos and have removed and reinstalled the windows. You Tube has a video on doing this. It requires two people for removasl. One on the inside and one on the outside. The person on the inside removes the trip ring/screws. The person on the outside holds the window. Both people outside with the HiLo in the lower position. Have a set of saw horses with a sheet of plywood or drywall. Gently use a five in one tool or scraper to work around the window until it releases. Takes two to set it on the saw horses. One person cleans the side of the HiLo. With alcohol. Scrape as much old good off the rim of the window. Have paper towels,rags and a garbage can. Get off as much go as you possibly can. Doesn't have to be perfect. Line with butyl tape. Two people to put window back. Then one goes inside and puts the trim ring back on. Excess butyl tape will squeeze out. DH left ouirs for a few days then cut of excess with a butter knife. Then seal exterior with Lexel caulk. This took us many hrs to do one window. This is normal. Bonus with the window you can see the layers/condition of your walls. Leave the window out if you have wall damage to repair. Have a ladder and step stool handy.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #6

I would like to have windows resealed on my 2204 but am not a DIY person. Does anyone know where to go or who to call in the Ocala/North central Florida area? Also want to get roof sealed.
WayneinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneinMaine View Post
I would like to have windows resealed on my 2204 but am not a DIY person. Does anyone know where to go or who to call in the Ocala/North central Florida area? Also want to get roof sealed.
Any RV shop should be able to help you out. Both tasks are pretty simple though. YouTube has some excellent videos.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
If 3 are leaking, then you should reseal all of them. You DO remove the windows, clean out all the old stuff and then reseal them with Butyl tape, which fills all irregular gaps and never hardens. Once the windows are back in I'd use Lexel caulk (available at Ace Hardware or online} to seal the outside around the frames. Lexel is a VERY sticky and durable caulk and I (and many others here) think it is better than silicone or other choices for a trailer.

- Jack
Lexel is great stuff in white and clear...Pretty well sticks and seals anything...To Complete Dry is slow up to 7days dependent on conditions...It pretty well stays put and skins over in a day or so

Wont sticks to Silicone nothing except Silicone sticks to Silicone
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #9

I have had 3 HI LO trailers with the need to reseal windows....I have found that OSI Quad Max sealant works better than Butyl tape (in my opinion)...It remains flexible and has a high coefficient of expansion. It is very sticky and works very well.....

2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Brianagee is offline   Reply With Quote