Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #1

Default New Electric Tongue Jack

Ordered a 3500 lb. electric jack from Camping World last week and received it Wednesday of this week. Weather was just right yesterday to do the install so I backed the truck up and hooked the trailer up to the hitch. The old crank jack came off in about five minutes and placed the new jack in the frame. Two bolts lined up perfectly, the third was about half a hole off to one side. Long story short, grabbed the cordless drill and a new grade 8 bolt and nut and made a hole to fit. Ran the single wire to the positive side of the battery and clamped on a round terminal end and secured the wire. Trailer goes up and down with the flick of a finger, no cranking my arm off to hitch or unhitch. If everything had lined up correctly it would have been a 30 minute job at the most but was finished in lest than an hour. It took longer to find the proper bolt and nut, but I had what I needed. I have not missed cranking on a trailer since our old pop-up days, everything since then I have installed an electric jack.......

Redcatcher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds good, Red. I'd advise you to put an inline fuse into that power wire, if you didn't do it (or if the jack didn't come with one). The specs on the jack should give you the Amp pull, so you can properly size the fuse.

- Jack

Old 03-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
sam

Default Power Jack

I agree this is a great mod. We love ours. Just do the preventive mainteniance that should be in your manual. It needs to have the grease checked yearly.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #4

JackandJanet, yes it came with an in-line fuse just below the powerhead. They even sent a spare fuse and I promptly labeled it and put it with my maintenance supplies on board. Sam, I always carry a can of white lithium spray grease also, you never know..........
Redcatcher70 is offline   Reply With Quote