Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 10-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #1

Default Patch on rubber window gasket?

I hope someone can help! The rubber gasket deal that goes around the outside glass on the windows has gaps and rips in it and needs replacing. Can this be bought at Home Depot or do I have to get from J&R? I tried to look it up but there are a lot of options and I’m not sure. Also what kind of caulk should I use for a patch job till I get a replacement?

Thanks for your assistance!

Snappy Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #2

I've had no experience on this, but would think a stop at an auto glass shop might yield something useful. For sealing, Lexel seems to be one of the top caulks in the RV world.

piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #3

I looked at the Lexel brochure and it said “do not use or is incompatible with rubber”. I haven’t found any caulk that says it works with rubber so far. So I like your suggestion about the glass shop!
Old 10-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

mine is same, I was told to move the larger good pieces to smaller windows and take an example to an rv parts/salvage yard. Heat caused mine to warp.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
sam

Default Window seal part

I hope this information helps you as it is old. Creation window parts C471402 40000 Top vent seal. Let us know if this information helps you.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Tom View Post
I hope someone can help! The rubber gasket deal that goes around the outside glass on the windows has gaps and rips in it and needs replacing. Can this be bought at Home Depot or do I have to get from J&R? I tried to look it up but there are a lot of options and I’m not sure. Also what kind of caulk should I use for a patch job till I get a replacement?

Thanks for your assistance!
I think a number of us have had problems with the gasket on the outside of the window due to shrinkage. I had looked on the internet for the gasket material but ended up going through Joel at Midget Trailer (former Hi Lo Plant manager) in Bellville, Ohio. Found it best to change the gasket in very warm weather as it was easier to manipulate the contours of the gasket material.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #7

Ok I did some research on the part number given by Sam (thanks!) and did not have any luck finding it. I contacted an auto glass shop and they recommended butyl caulk. I also sent an email to J&R to see about replacement and what they recommended to patch it with and I was told clear latex caulk, and not silicone.

Also was told that the molding can be heated up with hair dryer until warm and stretched to fit again and then to caulk small gaps. DO NOT OVERHEAT.

Still waiting for an email about how much the molding costs to replace. That's the update so far. I will pass on info about molding when I get the email.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice!