Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 06-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #1

Question Remove Refrigerator?

We are trying to remove our 3-way fridge because we have removed all gas from our rig. Has anyone removed their's? We cannot seem to figure out what is holding it in there. We've removed exposed bolts, lines, and have started to cut through the insulation foam surrounding the unit yet it remains only slightly budge-able. Can anyone provide some advice? Thank you!

'94 2694RD

tabroberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #2

On my hi-lo there were only 2 screws in the outside compartment to remove. located on the bottom rail.
Remove gas lines and electrical lines from rear.
Nothing else needs to be removed before sliding the unit out through the INTERIOR.

I rebuilt the fridge unit in my hi-lo, and it works extremely well on gas, 120v.

No guess why you would delete the gas use of your trlr.
So no stove or oven, not heat, and now no cold beer.
So why go camping?????????

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoites View Post
On my hi-lo there were only 2 screws in the outside compartment to remove. located on the bottom rail.
Remove gas lines and electrical lines from rear.
Nothing else needs to be removed before sliding the unit out through the INTERIOR.

I rebuilt the fridge unit in my hi-lo, and it works extremely well on gas, 120v.

No guess why you would delete the gas use of your trlr.
So no stove or oven, not heat, and now no cold beer.
So why go camping?????????
I suspect they're going "all-electric" and camping only at "full-hookup" campgrounds. Not my idea of camping either, but, it's good we don't ALL want the same thing!

- Jack
Old 06-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #4

In my previous reply I forgot to add that there are 4 screws in the interior front face that also need to be removed.
So there are a total of 6 screws that need to be removed before unit was able to be removed from cabinet. Remove unit from the interior.

I personally try to never limit my options.
You will remove > than 90% of your camping options and have very much limited the re-sale of your camper.

TO EACH THEIR OWN!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #5

Default Fridge removal

Thanks for the replies, I have removed all of the needed screws. I have found that when this fridge was installed, the installer pretty much lined the entire back side of the fridge with spray foam insulation, maybe to prevent movement, who knows. I did not figure that foam would hold it in so tight, but I completely underestimated it's strength. And to answer a few people's questions, we are in the process of going full solar, except for the air conditioner. We cook on an induction stove and large toaster oven, so we have removed the weight of the bulky stove, central heater, and water heater. We heat ourselves with an infrared heater, which is a very efficient heating source. We live full time in our camper, and have elected to remove all gas and find the most efficient appliances to meet our needs. In our travels, we will almost always enough power with solar and a hook-up for AC to always meet our needs.
tabroberson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, mod, refrigerator