Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

Default Removing Ceiling and foam?

Ok, I have been tearing a little bit of the ceiling out and man this is going to take a while. The thin outer layer of "cosmetic" material has obviously been glued to the foam. I've been scraping and it does come off but its in little strips. Plus the foam is also apparently glued to the metal roof. I was hoping to remove all the ceiling cosmetic material and hopefully save the foam. Is this a hopeless attempt? Do most people just tear the whole thing out including the foam and then replace it all? Man I'd hate to replace all that sections of foam. I'm wanting to be able to get to the metal supports in the area of the leak which will require removing the foam at least in those areas. I was wanting to clean the rust off the metal and prime it real good with Rust oleum paint. Any suggestions? Thanks.

motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #2

Ive never done ceiling work so I can't answer your question directly on how all that is. However, GARY has, and you may chase down some of his posts. I DID have to do some wall work, though, last fall, and found those vibrating tools with the straight/flat blades invaluable for cutting stuff off a flat surface. i.e.: Robot Check

And here is a link to garyk52's demo project. worth reading an watching:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...n-begins-1532/

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #3

My Progress... However unlike the what I said in the video, I did decide to go ahead and remove the entire ceiling. Good thing I did because I did find some water damage that had not quite made itself visible yet.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj...ew?usp=sharing
Old 03-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpig2342 View Post
My Progress... However unlike the what I said in the video, I did decide to go ahead and remove the entire ceiling. Good thing I did because I did find some water damage that had not quite made itself visible yet.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj...ew?usp=sharing
Video is worth more than a thousand words! Good luck with your repairs and we hope they don't extend anymore than you think.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #5

Motor

AS long as you are checking everything.....I found water damage in the fall when I removed the window over the sink to re-seal it. The culprit, from what I could tell, was the outside vent assembly for the hood vent over the stove. WAter had gotten in around the vent cover and dripped down around the window frame and settled on the vary bottom of the top wall under that window. There was no indication INSIDE on the walls,yet, but when I removed the window I discovered rotted paneling and foam. Thus, as long as you are in the garage and pulling a couple of windows I'd pull them all and inspect. Better than having to go back and do something more later as long as you are in the ripping-out-rebuilding mood. Good luck.

Rick

4x4
Old 03-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
sam

Default Removing and resealing windows

When you have your windows out you will be able to see the condition of your walls(the layers).
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
When you have your windows out you will be able to see the condition of your walls(the layers).
How many of yall have replaced the outer wall that the siding is mounted on? There is obviously a little damage to it too but no way do I want to tackle that job.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #8

That is mostly foam. There are a couple very major re-builds out there where they did that.... but I dont know the actual threads. someone else may remember. Im sure you know this----but if you want a great model of how the wall is constructed, on my trailer the seats under the cushions where kitchenette booth is are, obviously, just made from what they cut out of the sides where the windows go. With the small section I had around the window I had to cut off the inner panel and then found something to glue to it to replace it. But in between- I just left fans and heat on the foam until I was confident I had it adequately dried out. I think I also shot a little adhesive between the foam and outer sheathing (fiberglass) where it had become separated and then clamped it.

Rick

4x4
Old 03-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
but if you want a great model of how the wall is construced, on my trailer the seats under the cushions where kitchenette booth is are, obviously, just made from what they cut out of the sides where the windows go. With the small section I had around the window I had to cut off the inner panel and then found something to glue to it to replace it. But in between- I just left fans and heat on the foam until I was confident I had it adequately dried out. I think I also shot a little adhesive between the foam and outer sheathing (fiberglass) where it had become separated and then clamped it.

Rick
Good to know, yeah I was planning on running a good bead to reattach the foam to the outer wall.