Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 05-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #1

Default replacement of bulb seal

I have a 2004 28c hilo and want to replace the bult seal between the top and bottom half, has anyone done this themselves, i am very mechanical and did a few years back string new cables in and replace them all, now i have the seal from J r repair and dont live in ohio and would like someone to describe what they did, or has pic of what they did, or maybe a file that i can download, Thank.s Warren

ezfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:12 PM   #2

Default replacing bulb seal.

It certainly can be a do it yourself project. DH did this on our 1990 HiLo. It didn't come out perfect and would let some road gunk as we traveled along. Others have done this repair. Do a search for bulb seal replacement. We were unable to break the halves apart enough to get around the ref. On our seconmd HiLo we had enough $ and took it to J&R in Mt.Vernon Ohio. Now I just get a light film of black road crud. Easy to wipe up.

Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:46 AM   #3

Default bulb seal replacement

I tried to search the files and nothing comes up, Does the top have to be lifted above the top lip of the bottom to do this job, a Pic would sure help explain this..
ezfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Team

As far as I know, others who have REPLACED the bulb seal have raised the top above the bottom half. This thread: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17...f-gasket-2884/, post #9, shows a clever way to get the top up and how to support it.

But, r67northern, used a garage door sweep on his trailer and that would not require the top to be lifted off. It's in this thread: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f22...any-tips-4472/ Post #9 too.

- Jack
Old 06-01-2021, 11:15 PM   #5

ezfreddy,

I replaced the bulb seal on my 1988 22 foot FunChaser earlier this year using the process identified by Jack's first link above. The process was quite ingeneous and straightforward, though I had difficulty replacing the bulb around the hanging clothes wardrobe since it sits several inches above the base. I also purchased the bulb from J&R and cut up a sheet of thin aluminum from Home Depot into strips as reinforcement for the bulb when air gun stapling into place.

Hope this helps,
Peter
Johnsonbrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #6

My seal has failed and I went to a contractor supply house and purchased a adhesive foam that was inch and a quarter thick. I stuck it to the lower half with the trailer down slightly and it works fine at keeping the air out and the bugs. Was not expensive and too
k minimal amount of time
tulllosdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #7
Site Team

tulliosdon, that's great! My only concern is that the adhesive may not hold up over time. You'll have to let us know how it does.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote