Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #1

Default Replacing Ceiling.

I'm about to start tearing out a portion of the ceiling where my camper had a leak. I'll likely go ahead and remove all the cabinets and will likely just go ahead and put a entire new ceiling in it just to have it all done right. I pulled this outer layer (white thinner stuff) off to reveal the thicker plywood. Man, that plywood looks thick! What wood would you use as the replacement. I'd like to go with treated lumber but whats everyone else using? I I need to buy something specific? I know there is quite a arc due to the curve of the ceiling line. How hard is it to put a arc in that thick material? I'm also wondering if I should go back and put the thinner outer layer on and what its called at Lowes. I guess I could just do the plywood only, paint it and trim it out nicely. What are yall's thoughts?

motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Unless the wood/plywood is damaged, I would NOT replace it. Discoloration will not hurt anything. If it is rotted and soft, then it should be replaced.

I think I'd use exterior grade plywood of equivalent thickness if you DO replace it.

I suspect you could create the arc with something like ratcheting fence pullers. The one I have is rated at 1000#. You'd possibly run a thick nylon towing strap over the top and put the ratchet under the frame. Maybe you could place 2x4s along the edges of the top to make the bend uniform.

I'm just "thinking in print" here. I've never done it and don't know if there's a better way. Some people have totally rebuilt their tops and would have better suggestions.

- Jack

Old 02-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #3

Strange, my 1996 ceiling is made with 1/8 inch vinyl covered plywood then 1 inch of styrofoam then 1/8 inch plywood then the aluminum roof. I know this because I replaced the whole ceiling because of roof leaks when I bought it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hilo ceiling.jpg (41.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg ceiling jig.jpg (21.1 KB, 23 views)

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpig2342 View Post
I'm about to start tearing out a portion of the ceiling where my camper had a leak. I'll likely go ahead and remove all the cabinets and will likely just go ahead and put a entire new ceiling in it just to have it all done right. I pulled this outer layer (white thinner stuff) off to reveal the thicker plywood. Man, that plywood looks thick! What wood would you use as the replacement. I'd like to go with treated lumber but whats everyone else using? I I need to buy something specific? I know there is quite a arc due to the curve of the ceiling line. How hard is it to put a arc in that thick material? I'm also wondering if I should go back and put the thinner outer layer on and what its called at Lowes. I guess I could just do the plywood only, paint it and trim it out nicely. What are yall's thoughts?
I could not find the post, but a year or so ago a member posted pictures of the forms he used to attach a new interior ceiling. He made wooden forms shaped the same as the arced ceiling and I think used hydraulic jacks to push the new ceiling in place with the forms.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote