Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #1

Default replacing vent with a skylight?

Hello all,

The vent/fan located as soon as I walk in my 2204T is in pretty bad shape. The fan is broken and now the top plastic cover on the roof is brittle and cracked. I took the camper out for memorial day and a gust of wind took whats left.

Would I be able to just permanantly cover the opening with a skylight? I figure I'd just have to drill out the rivets that holds the bar that runs across the opening (fan mount to and vent armature that allowed the vent to open).

Would I just need something like this? It's a 14x14 opening although I'd shop for something lower profile.

Amazon.com: Specialty Recreation (SL1414W) White 14" x 14" Skylight: Automotive

thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Default Skylite

thatguy, I don't see why this product wouldn't work, except that you would have to remove the entire vent! You must ensure the footprint of the skylight is the same dimensions as the vent. Then some kind of pretty trim to hide exposed interior. The stated product dimensions are for the packaging, not the skylight.
If this product fits the footprint, remove the vent, clean the surface (I fill the old holes with Lexel), put down butyl tape, center the skylight and screw it down. Then cover the screw heads with Lexel and run a bead around the skylight.
I met a gent in Ga. who had sawn off his vent flush, applied caulk to the vent surround and screwed down a piece of plexi-glass. Worked for him (Not me).
Good luck send pics,
Treeclimber

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
Hello all,

The vent/fan located as soon as I walk in my 2204T is in pretty bad shape. The fan is broken and now the top plastic cover on the roof is brittle and cracked. I took the camper out for memorial day and a gust of wind took whats left.

Would I be able to just permanantly cover the opening with a skylight? I figure I'd just have to drill out the rivets that holds the bar that runs across the opening (fan mount to and vent armature that allowed the vent to open).

Would I just need something like this? It's a 14x14 opening although I'd shop for something lower profile.

Amazon.com: Specialty Recreation (SL1414W) White 14" x 14" Skylight: Automotive
Personally, I would replace the fan. You get the best of both worlds. You have a fan/vent and it lets light in.

Welcome to Fan-Tastic Vent!
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #4

I wonder why the skylight over the shower is a double bubble? Anyway I took off the up/down handle (everything else was already ripped/cracked off!)and am going to get rid of the cross bar today. Pic below shows how it's a clear shot through the roof! Hope the skylight will give more of an open feel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0607161250.jpg (111.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
Site Team

thatguy, gotta agree with "Ruben", if your gonna spend the time fixing the vent to fit a skylight, why not go to amazon and get a static vent for $51 or a Fan tastic vent for $129. Best of both worlds.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
thatguy, gotta agree with "Ruben", if your gonna spend the time fixing the vent to fit a skylight, why not go to amazon and get a static vent for $51 or a Fan tastic vent for $129. Best of both worlds.
Tree
Yup, I'd never put a "fixed" thing there. Trailers need ventilation. I love my FanTastic Fan.

- Jack
Old 06-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #7
sam

Default Replacing vent

I agree with all the previous posts. Put in a vent fan. When you are cooking or running the furnice you need your vent cracked a little. Also think about resale value.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #8

well I went ahead and did it! I figured the inside of the camper has 6 windows a vent in the back and above the stove all within a small space (maybe 19 ft.?) that's plenty of venting for me already. I went with smoke tint!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0801161450.jpg (66.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #9

a few more pics . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0801161837b.jpg (74.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 0801161838a.jpg (49.6 KB, 4 views)