Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 05-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

Default roof

Has anyone or know of anyone that has replaced the roof with 1/16 inch diamond plate aluminum? and the steel roof studs to aluminum? on a HILO, any advice would be helpful.
And then coating the roof with kool seal.
Thanks
Chuck

ltblueblzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltblueblzr View Post
Has anyone or know of anyone that has replaced the roof with 1/16 inch diamond plate aluminum? and the steel roof studs to aluminum? on a HILO, any advice would be helpful.
And then coating the roof with kool seal.
Thanks
Chuck
I think that would make your top too heavy and would probably stretch cables prematurely.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Depending on the thickness of the diamond plate and fastening method, it might be a wash against the weight of the plywood and metal or rubber roof system. It would have to support a persons weight, of course. So depending on the TOTAL weight, as "Ruben" says it may end up too heavy. I don't know the weight of existing materials used, nor the weight of the new materials, but I'd think they would be pretty close. Thin diamond plate is pretty light.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #4

Playing devil's advocate here, but why in the world would you put Kool Seal, a product that would tend to peel eventually over the top of diamond plate aluminum? And how would you treat/join the seams on the roof once you tackle this project?
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
Site Team

Could be joined with an "H" channel. After insertion, a rolled type joint could be made. Cover seams with Eternabond!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about welding the seams together and tack welding the diamond plate to the beams, and breaking the edges over the sides, front and back. Also thinking about a raised edge for the AC and fantastic fan. What are your thoughts on the sun roof over the shower, is it needed, and is the second fan needed in the bath room? My thoughts on the kool seal was to try to keep the camper cooler, would it matter? I do like the thought of to "H" channel. I will need to figure out how much the roof weighs now and for the new material.
ltblueblzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:36 AM   #7

I had to buy a 1' x 2' piece of diamond plate aluminum from Lowe's yesterday for a little trailer repair. I'm not lying when I tell you it was $35.00 for that little scrap, including tax. Unless you happen to be in the business, you might want to start by pricing what different materials cost. Keep us up on what you decide to do.....
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:33 AM   #8
Site Team

If the diamond plate were kept shiny (Think waxing!), no need for Kool Seal. As for the sky light, that's personal preference. I'd rather the sky light be clear, but a plastic dome will always craze and a glass one is $$$$. As far as fans, I have three, two Fan-Tastic s and a non-powered vent in the bed room. For us, that is less noise at night. And the power to run them is easily replaced. Keep in mind what notanlines said about the cost of diamond plate, then welding cost and shaping the edges. Also, galvanic corrosion will come in to play if not isolated from the steel or even aluminum.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Site Team

But, I'm going to respectfully disagree with Tree on one point. If one goal is to help keep the interior of the trailer cool, then I think you DO want to Kool Coat the roof. Aluminum will get VERY hot in direct sun - it can burn your hand. A white surface such as Kool Coat will be just barely warm. The heat that is stored in the metal will transfer into the trailer through radiation and conduction if it is there.

I've often wondered about the insulation requirements in Airstream trailers.

- Jack
Old 05-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
Site Team

VERY good point Jack. I hadn't thought of heat transfer! Of course, here in SW Florida it's such a matter of fact. Kool Seal is a good idea.
You smart man Jack.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
VERY good point Jack. I hadn't thought of heat transfer! Of course, here in SW Florida it's such a matter of fact. Kool Seal is a good idea.
You smart man Jack.
Tree
No, but thanks. I've just had my fingers burned on aluminum and other metals that were sitting in the sun.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote