Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 11-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #1

Default Roof repair suggestions needed!

I knew there was an odd patch made in the roof. Turns out it was a big glob of bondo where it appears there was some damage from a limb or something.

As I've started cleaning things up, I've also found that there are some pin-holes along the edge of the roof.

What is the best way to repair these? I'm thinking for the big hole, I'll use a piece of aluminum flashing--butyl tape underneath, then rivet or screw down, and seal with Lexel or other caulk around the edge and over the fasteners.

I'm not as sure about the pin-holes. Can I patch these with the Dicor lap sealant I have?

Here are some pictures to help.
Photo Nov 03, 4 39 36 PM_resized.jpg
This is the big guy. Seems like some aluminum flashing riveted down may be the way to go.
Photo Nov 03, 4 49 45 PM_resized.jpg
Pin holes all along the edge. Lap sealant?

jjharris11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #2

I had good luck with Eternabond Tape ..You can get it up to foot wide..Ger surface clean and follow instructions..I did edges all the way around with 6" a year or 2 ago...Then kool coated top been happy so far

cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #3

I have the Kool Seal sealant for the roof to go on after it's cleaned up. Wondering if I can use Flex Seal liquid to seal the pinholes, then put the Kool Seal over the top.
jjharris11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjharris11 View Post
I have the Kool Seal sealant for the roof to go on after it's cleaned up. Wondering if I can use Flex Seal liquid to seal the pinholes, then put the Kool Seal over the top.
(got mine off ebay The eternabond.)...as far as flexseal Never used maybe someone else will chime in
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:04 AM   #5
sam

Default Just a guess

Clean up areas as per Externa Bond web site. Then use externa bond wide tape. If you use pop rivets I would think this would cause an adverse metal reaction with the metals already in the roof. Galvonic corosion. Only use Dicor roof sealant. Please others than have done roof repairs please add to this.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote