Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 07-28-2019, 07:52 PM   #1

Default roof work

im sorry im sure these questions are answered a million times but after searching...

1) is it safe to walk on the roof of my 2004 towlite 17t?
2) while i see no sign of leakage inside the roof has a few areas that are bubbled and feels like there is water in-between the membrane and the roof?
does that make sense? is there an easy way to check/fix?

Thanks you guys were so helpful with my recent plumbing issue

PappaPiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Site Team

No question is discouraged, keep asking.

Yes, you can walk on your roof. I do it quite frequently, and have to when I put the cover on for storage.

My roof is metal (aluminum) over wood. Is yours possibly rubber? Or, is it possible that the prior owner painted it with elastomeric paint? My metal rood does not have the "membrane" that you speak of, but elastomeric paint would give that impression. Having used that paint on the roofs of homes in Arizona, I know that it can develop occasional bubbles underneath that I've always ignored on houses. I THINK they were air that was trapped underneath which expanded in the heat. They could have had moisture in them though.

To check, I'd prick one with a pin or the sharp point of a knife. Then, push on the bubble to see what comes out. If you have elastomeric paint over metal, unless there's a hole in the metal, nothing will go through.

If you have a rubber roof, though, wait till someone with a rubber roof replies. I know nothing about rubber roofs.

- Jack

Old 07-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
No question is discouraged, keep asking.

Yes, you can walk on your roof. I do it quite frequently, and have to when I put the cover on for storage.

My roof is metal (aluminum) over wood. Is yours possibly rubber? Or, is it possible that the prior owner painted it with elastomeric paint? My metal rood does not have the "membrane" that you speak of, but elastomeric paint would give that impression. Having used that paint on the roofs of homes in Arizona, I know that it can develop occasional bubbles underneath that I've always ignored on houses. I THINK they were air that was trapped underneath which expanded in the heat. They could have had moisture in them though.

To check, I'd prick one with a pin or the sharp point of a knife. Then, push on the bubble to see what comes out. If you have elastomeric paint over metal, unless there's a hole in the metal, nothing will go through.

If you have a rubber roof, though, wait till someone with a rubber roof replies. I know nothing about rubber roofs.

- Jack
it looks like there is a black rubber skin over the whole roof that is held down by metal trim font and back, a "C" channel for awning on the font side and another metal strip along the back. The black rubber has been painted white.
PappaPiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #4

Yeah I’ve got a 2004 24T and was wondering the same thing. I’m a total rookie, so how do I even tell what material my roof is made out of?
hilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
Site Team

hilover, welcome to the forum!

A metal roof will have a "pebble grain" appearance and feel, and will have raised seems running crosswise over the top. It will feel "hard", too, because the metal simply has a coat of paint on top. I think the seams will probably be about 4 ft apart.

Since I don't have a rubber roof, I can't tell you what they're like, but I suspect the surface will be smooth.

But, you should be able to walk on either kind.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #6

Here’s a picture of our old metal roof under re-build. The metal part is the white part that’s left down the center of the trailer... of course on trailers that aren’t being taken apart, it would extend to the sides. You can see the seams though which is why I thought it might be helpful.

IMGP3825 by Lineswest, on

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:57 PM   #7
Site Team

That's interesting, r67northern. Your metal roof looks quite different from mine. I know my seams are both smaller and are spaced farther apart. My seams are only about 1/2" wide, I think. HiLo probably changed that component over the years. My trailer is a 2007 model year one.

There are a few pictures that show my roof in my solar panel thread: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f28/...allation-4354/ The solar panels are 48 inches long, and you can see they fit between the seams

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #8
Site Team

r67, That's odd, I also had the same year 24'er and my metal roof was smooth and seams closer together, like Jacks talking about. Thin seams also. Could that be a re-roof or a Hi Lo change? I'm sure the ribbing adds strength.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #9

Gosh, I had no idea that the old roof on the trailer was something a bit different. But yes, the ribbing definitely added strength, I left as much as I could down the spine of the roof just for that reason, and when I'm up there I try and step on it vs. other parts.

I wonder if they had a few of these as a "running change" in their line for awhile before going a different direction? The trailer has been in the family since about 2004 so I'm pretty sure the roof is original factory. There was a rubber coating added to it after the first leaks showed up (probably 2011-ish), which is why the surface finish looks off. Underneath it though, the clean white aluminum you'd expect.

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote