Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-17-2015, 04:26 PM   #21

Many new travel trailers use a wall AC mounted flush with the outside. The box on the inside is bigger then the unit to allow air to flow in the sides. It is better for price, for power requirement (as they don't seem to make anything but large rooftop models, and much better for aerodynamics which is why I wanted a hi-lo in the first place. I'm probably going to pull the TV antenna off as that is worthless to me as well and just another thing to catch wind.

Actually after reading reviews today I think i will go with a ducted portable A/C unit, then I can use it in the house or garage as well. Then it just needs a 6" round duct, maybe even through the floor.

Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #22

Thats what a lot of people build for teardrop trailers. Lots of videos on Youtube showing how they make them. A 5000 BTU AC should cool that trailer with ease. The rooftop ACs are way too much for smaller trailers. You end up chiseling ice off your toes in the morning.

misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #23

We have a portable roll around AC unit that we use at home. It works great and I never gave it a thought for the HI-LO. They do not take up much room and the vent hole is no more than a dryer vent.
My roof top works great but consider some advantages here by not having the extra wind drag and weight on the top, nor the potential for leaks.
I am about to start on a major rebuild due to water damage and this might just be something I will do too. We can use the same AC on the road, we sure don't run it at home when we are gone.
Thanks for a good suggestion.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #24

Well I've gotten most of the exterior work done. I still need to improve some of the seal and caulk everything.
I did order a 8000 BTU portable ac that is supposedly quiet and runs on less then 1000 watts. I also ordered a 2k watt Westinghouse inverter generator.
I want to build a locking box on the back bumper for the generator, and maybe another for some firewood. I will watch the tounge weight but with all the freshwater and propane up front I don't think I'm an any danger of even going below 15% tounge weight. Maybe if the fresh water was empty and the black and grey were full.

Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote