Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

Default Rotted wood replacement

I just bought my first hi- lo its a 1995 and where the cable hooks to the wood on the front left the wood is rotted from what I can tell I might be able to replace the wood in just that location it's 2 pieces of plywood sandwiched together about 3' long and about the size of a 2x4 has anyone tried repairing on like this ?

Cobramustang331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
sam

Default Rotted wood replacement

Welcome to the forum. Could you post a picture of your area of concern? Dh has done replacement of the guide rail on our 1990 25ft. Classic. Do you have a Classic(heavier) or a Towlite(lighter)? What ever the problem it is repairable. What state are you located in?

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #3

It's a fun lite and I'm in st charles missouri let me get a picture!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #4

Old 10-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
sam

Default Repairs

I showed DH yours pictures earlier today. Then we had to go out and spend some $. Tomorrow I will get him to give me the wording on your repairs. He advises that the first step would e to take out the window above the rotted guide rail. This will give you a view of your inside wall to see if you have wall water damage. If you have wall damage this could be how the water damaged your rail. I did a back post on how to remove your window and reseal with buytl tape and lexell caulk on the exterior. You tube has a video on how to do this. If you don't have an indoor space to work on the HiLo then cover it and work on it when spring comes. The repairs you need to do to your HiLo are somewhat major and can be done if you are somewhat handy. It also will require a fair amt. of time and $. The HiLo will have to be jacked up on 2x4s after you release the cables. Read this back post as it explaines how to put the 2x4s on the HiLo. Outline for replacing roof gasket by Sam Shields 4-3-2010. It is better to replace the entire length of wood as it will be stronger. You may also have steel frame rot. You won't know until you rip it apart. DH just finished this same repair on our 1990 25ft. Classic. The repair is stronger and better than the original. This is just a brief overview of what you have to do. It is all fixable. Let us know when you start repairs. I always wish we lived close to someone when they have major repairs that we have done. DH would always be willing to lend a hand. Your pictures were helpful so that we could advise you better. Typos butyl tape and Lexel caulk.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #6

Thanks I do have a place to work on it inside. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about fixing it though. How kind would it take to replace the entire wall?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
sam

Default Replacing upper wall

I'm not sure what you are asking. Go under off topic 11-7-2012 and you will see in blue type the link to our restoration pictures. Pictures by SamTLPX Photo bucket. Are you handy?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

You need to do an evaluation of the amount of damage to the wall first, I had the same problem when I first purchased my 1988 funchaser, I ended up replaceing all the lower rail wood with BLUE waterproof wood . talk to J & R they will steer you in the right direction.

robobd is offline   Reply With Quote